Christian responses to US Politics

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Tiffy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Suppose I have an election going in my local golf club. I just 'want' another 11,780 votes to win the election and remain president. 11,780 would just be enough to give me "Just one more than I have", not much to ask. Presumably a suitable reward will grease the palm of the official who conveniently 'finds' them for me.

Can someone qualified in Christian ethics on this website advise me on whether what I would be asking someone else to do for me is sinful or not please?

I can't see the problem myself because I am convinced in my own mind that I should win. I really, really deserve to win. I have already really won. My problem is that the actual votes counted don't agree with me.

Only 11,780 votes to 'find', not a biggely big ask at all really.

Would you still want me to be president of your golf club?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
    Empty likes this.
  2. Empty

Empty Member

Abso
    Absolutely not. And this is another example why some of us Christians are incensed when the evangelicals call him a "Christian" paragon. In addition, many of these phone calls, etc are illegal in America; election tampering is a felony. Can only hope they will prosecute when he leaves office. The official in Georgia was certainly smart to record this phone call. It protects him and incriminates Trump

3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Unbelievable! :facepalm:
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/rep-cleaver-ends-opening-prayer-for-new-congress-amen-and-awoman
    A Democrat (of course) congressman (congressperson?) who should know better (because he's an ordained Methodist minister!) was chosen to open the the new session of Congress with prayer.
    Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., altered the traditional ending of "amen" by saying "Amen and awoman" as he delivered the opening prayer for the 117th Congress on Sunday -- raising eyebrows.
    The video was posted online and he was criticized by other lawmakers who said he was wrong to attempt to assign gender to the word "amen."
    You can't make this stuff up. O_o But then, this is the sort of thing we're bound to get from idiots who want to do things like the following:
    Just a day ago, [speaker of the House of Representatives] Pelosi introduced new House rules she said will help the body become more inclusive. A 45-page package that will be voted on Monday strips all mention of gender-specific pronouns and terms such as "man," "woman," "mother" and "son."

4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    If these reports are indeed true, they are likely, I fear, to incline me to believe what you say about the idiocy of anti-Trumpist reactionaries.

What is the matter with you people over there now? Have they put something in the drinking water?

Do they not all already know why we say amen and not awomen? It's because we sing hymns not hers. :laugh:

Rexlion likes this.
  5. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    There are (at least) two sides to every story.
    Source of below article: https://www.theepochtimes.com/no-cr...f&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mb-2021-01-06
    ‘No Crime There, Period’: Alan Dershowitz Says Trump Phone Call Taken out of Context
    By Jack Phillips
    January 5, 2021 Updated: January 5, 2021

News outlets took President Donald Trump’s comments to Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensberger out of context during a phone call that was later leaked to the press, said Harvard Law professor emeritus Alan Dershowitz.

“Well, every major media is taking it out of context,” Dershowitz told Just The News, adding that there was no apparent crime being committed on the phone call by the president.

Mainstream outlets initially interpreted Trump’s remarks to Raffensberger as an attempt at a shakedown to “find 11,780 votes” in Georgia for the Nov. 3 presidential contest.

But the full transcript of the call showed that Trump asserted that he won the state and asked the election official to probe election irregularities—something he has been saying publicly for weeks.

“He’s not saying I want you to create the vote,” said Dershowitz in the interview. “He’s not saying I want you to manufacture or concoct the votes. He’s saying, and he’s been saying this for months, on Twitter and his statements and his campaign’s, he thinks that people voted for him and those votes weren’t counted. He’s entitled as a citizen, as a candidate, to say, ‘I want you to find those votes, I want you to find the votes that will pass for me and what weren’t counted, I want you to find votes that were cast against me that shouldn’t have been counted—by people who are dead people, who are out of state.”

Trump’s campaign dismissed the allegations that the president was engaging in untoward or criminal activity when he spoke with Raffensberger.

On Monday, Jason Miller, a campaign adviser, said the full recording and transcript showed Trump was “spot-on in his criticisms of the terrible job Raffensperger did.”

According to a transcript of the call, Trump told Raffensperger: “The bottom line is, when you add it all up and then you start adding, you know, 300,000 fake ballots. He also made reference to allegations of election fraud in the state.

“We’re looking into every one of those things that you mentioned,” one official told Trump on the call. “Let me tell you what we are seeing. What we’re seeing is not at all what you’re describing.”

But the call, which drew widespread media attention, was floated as a possible starting point for another House impeachment investigation into Trump.

In a letter to FBI Director Christopher Wray, Reps. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) and Kathleen Rice (D-N.Y.) asked the bureau to launch a criminal probe into the call.

“As Members of Congress and former prosecutors, we believe Donald Trump engaged in solicitation of, or conspiracy to commit, a number of election crimes. We ask you to open an immediate criminal investigation into the President,” they wrote earlier this week.

Dershowitz, for his part, said there was no crime committed.

“I’ve been teaching criminal law for over 50 years,” he added. “I went through every word of that transcript, there is no crime there, period.”
    The serpent in the garden said, "Did God really say...?"
    MSM and the Democrats say likewise, "Did Trump really say...?" They bear false witness about what he said by taking select words out of context, much as the serpent did. God will judge them.

6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Notice how careful the serpent was not to be implicated in the crime though. Subtle, more subtle than even Trump was at avoiding ACTUALLY showing his hand. We all really know what the serpent implied though and we all really know what Trump said and MEANT.

We now all just look on at what's going down and wonder if Trump will be tried for treason or become the first dictator of the USA. :rolleyes:

Time for those of you who value your constitution to distance yourselves from him and his right wing, rabble, revolutionaries I think.

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  8. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    In 1776, where within the British Empire would you have found the highest concentration of rabble revolutionaries? :wicked:

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    This insurrection could result in the demise of the Republican Party as a democratic institution. Trumps USA is behaving like a Banana Dictatorship Republic. North Korea is laughing its socks off.

Trump the Jomo Kenyatta of the USA.

Word of the day is 'sequaciousness' (17th century): the blinkered, unreasoning, and slavish following of another, no matter where it leads.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  10. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I am looking at what is happening in Washington with the storming of the Capitol. Extremely sad. Could I encourage everyone to pray for the dignity and peace of America.

Shane R likes this.
  11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    With four years of Trump behind them and so many sequacious idiots released on the public, I doubt even prayer will do it any good.

12. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  13. Empty

Empty Member

Not taken out of context. If you read the whole transcript, Trump clearly asks Sec of State to "Just find 11.770 votes, thats, um, you know one more than we need." That is pretty clearly trying to coerce a public servant to alter and election which is a felony in the United States

14. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Rarely before in the field of US politics has a man so obviously unfit for office, for so long, remained in it.

China has an inscrutible smile and Russia is discretely silent. No doubt contemplating the fact that the nuclear button is still in the hands of a narcisistic lunatic.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  15. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Interesting that the last time capitol hill was attacked and looted in similar manner it was us Brits who did it. We failed then just like Trumps goons will. :wicked:

16. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Has Trump broken his oath to uphold the constitution by inciting a mob to violently occupy the constitutional seat of government?

17. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  18. Empty

Empty Member

Yes he did. His begging phone call to Georgia may also be illegal and is under investigation. I had requested prayer last night in the prayer section. And although my post may have been poorly worded in referencing partisan politics, I did not expect it to be summarily dismissed as inciting division. Praying for one another should not be gainsaid for "Political Considerations". The Dean of Canterbury Cathedral did not see this as an obstacle when he sent us a message of encouragement yesterday. I am disturbed to see that this is an issue in this forum and not something I can abide. I will you all the best and will say farewell. Thanks for all the good instruction and advice

19. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Sorry to see you thinking of leaving. You were quite a positive influence.

I don't think this prayer would be a cause for any objection on politically partisan grounds, the deliberate stirring up of political partisanship and party spirit being the root cause of your nation's present strife.

O God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, our only saviour, the Prince of Peace; Give us grace seriously to lay to heart the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions. Take away all the hatred and prejudice, and whatsoever else may hinder us from godly Union and Concord : that, as there is but one Body and one Spirit, and one Hope of our Calling, one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of us all, so we may henceforth be all of one heart, and of one soul, united in one holy bond of Truth and Peace, of Faith and Charity, and may with one mind and one mouth glorify thee; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

From the Accession Service BCP.

20. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    While Trump encouraged people to gather, he never intended nor encouraged violence. All patriotic Americans oppose and denounce such violent actions as what took place yesterday at the Capitol. However, peaceful gatherings and the rights of free speech & redress are cherished rights protected by our Constitution and should never be discouraged.

I don't normally consider myself to have the gift of prophecy, but I knew on the inside that something bad like this would happen. I knew that a 'false flag' operation would take place. It was confirmed 2 days before the rally (Monday) by my wife, who read on social media that there were antifa people sending messages and organizing with a plan to dress like Trump supporters and mingle with them for the purpose of causing trouble.

Looking at as many photos and video clips as I could find, it was evident to me that some authorities must have been 'in on it.' First, there's a video clip showing some sort of police holding a perimeter but suddenly turning around and leading the crowd toward their destination (which we can't see behind the camera but presumably it's toward a building entrance). Second, there are the images of strangely-clad demonstrators (wearing buffalo horns, face paint, and what look like animal skins) inside the halls of the building, unmolested, with police standing around doing nothing; these odd characters have been ID'd on social media as having been present to demonstrate at one or more past BLM rallies, and they in no way look to be conservatives or Trump supporters; how did they get in, and why are they not in handcuffs and being led out? Third, how is it that Capitol guards and police were unable (???) to keep demonstrators from sitting down in House or Senate chambers and in Nancy Pelosi's office? This is absolutely suspect. I cannot begin to believe that the cops could have been inept enough or so ill-prepared as to allow this to take place, and therefore IMO some of them must have been paid to help let these bozos in!

Think of all the ways the left can use this against the conservatives. They can falsely claim that conservatives are violent and dangerous. They can falsely claim that Trump intentionally incited violence. Some congress persons now say they will drop their objections to the electoral college issues, simply because of the violent episode. There are rumblings that Biden will, when he takes office, demand that all conservatives turn in their firearms to the government.

Folks, the #1 reason why Trump supporters are highly unlikely to have caused this violence is because they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by becoming violent. And the #2 reason is that Trump supporters are almost all law-and-order types, highly respectful of the law and police; they are the people who "Back the Blue." Antifa and other left wing extremists are the ones who notoriously support defunding the police and who act out with unlawful violence in demonstrations!

Meanwhile, Pence has turned gutless and has betrayed the principles of law. The states with disputed, suspicious results have had their electoral college votes certified by their governors. This is illegal! The governors have usurped the function delegated by Constitutional amendment to the state legislatures. Those state legislatures are begging Pence to refuse to accept the votes and to send them back to the respective states, so the legislatures can take proper action. Pence has showed his true, spineless self and refuses to do anything substantive. He just want to 'count the votes.' I wonder he's being blackmailed, or if he received thirty pieces of silver? We may never know which.