Christian responses to US Politics

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Tiffy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    I suspect it's because Americans are, and produce so much news content, and our lazy news media just pick it up because it is so easy and it pads out the time slots on our news programs instead of doing the hard work on other news items.

And I suspect we genuinely feel relieved that our politics is not like America's.

Botolph likes this.
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Because when America sneezes, the rest of the world gets Pneumonia. The size of the US economy, the example it sets in world 'leadership' and the effect it has on other's economies is significant. So we are all interested that your people at the top really do deserve to be there and the one you currently have in the Whitehouse apparently doesn't. Sort it!

Empty likes this.
  3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  4. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Yours in NZ might not be, but unfortunately ours in the UK is currently just as bad.

5. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    [​IMG]

Empty likes this.
  6. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  8. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
  9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Seems Trump has degraded to the point where he is trying to annoy as many people he hates as possible by doing the opposite of what he thinks they would want.

Very juvenile behaviour, but that's Trump for you, emotionally immature.

Empty likes this.
  10. Empty

Empty Member

Always thought so; Boris and Trump even look alike, ha ha

11. Empty

Empty Member

As an American, this seems good place to comment. True American Christians are mortified at Trump's foul mouth, bullying behavior, womanizing, bigotry, etc etc. I say "True" as in How could any real Christian support this type of person? Be assured, this election has been tested in over 50 lawsuits at state, federal, and the Supreme Court level by 86 different judges. There is NO EVIDENCE of any widespread fraud. That said, if our democracy withstands one last great attack on Jan 6th, we are looking forward to reentry on the world stage to deal with global issues like pandemic, security, climate change, etc. Please pray for us.

Tiffy likes this.
  12. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    IMO you have bought into the MSM's inaccurate portrayal of Pres. Trump. Please be aware that many "real" Christians support his presidency; he has opposed abortion, verbally and publicly given glory to God, and acted in support of church and faith. The statement, "How could any real Christian support this type of person," feels like a slap in my face.

In nearly every case, the election lawsuits have not been decided on the merits; they were dismissed on procedural grounds, sometimes on very questionable procedural grounds. Stating that there is "no evidence of any widespread fraud" is simply parroting CNN, NBC, CBS, etc. I am aware of massive evidence of widespread, systemic fraud in this election, because I inform myself from alternative news sources. A wealth of details can be found in The Epoch Times and on Newsmax, to name just two sources.

I do not care for Trump's mannerisms, his boorishness, and more. But I recognize that Biden will do the US far greater disservice and will move the country further from God than Trump ever did. Moreover I am fully convinced that if Congress does not intervene and Biden is allowed to assume the office, there will be no point whatsoever in ever again voting in a presidential election, because they will know that they got away with it and will be able to get away with it again and again.

Shane R likes this.
  13. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    And yet Biden goes to Church. The note he penned on his childhood home read before the election read 'from this house to the Whitehouse by the grace of God'. I am clearly not as convinced as you are.

No democratic system is perfect, no national constitution is perfect, and indeed the world is not perfect. We work within these systems to improve them, or abdicate to allow Totalitarianism, Anarchy, and Death.

How is it that the US electoral process ends up delivering to voters a choice of two male septuagenarians?

One thing I do have trouble with is the idea that 86 judges have engaged in a conspiratorial silence and there is not one that has found cause to raise the alarm. Surely the process is not so corrupt that there is not one of these prepared to speak out. For and outsider the plausible alternative seems more likely, that either Trump lost or Biden won, however you want to express that.

Of course Christians will be involved on every side of politics, and we need to be, as leaven in the lump, speaking for truth, integrity, the poor and the marginalised. The key point here is that our faith informs our politics, and not the other way around.

14. Empty

Empty Member

We will have to agree to disagree. Abortion is one issue politicians use to galvanize American evangelicals. One does not have to love Trump to be pro life. I would also point out that years ago he was a pro choice democrat. The one photo op in which he "Gave glory to God" in front of the Church he strong armed the pastor aside and held the bible upside down. He was never regular church attendee in NY. I also have to look at his conduct. He lies constantly. Berates and name calls anyone who disagrees with him-Just take a look at his statements and twitter. He also committed adultery in 3 marriages; got wife 2 pregnant before divorced from wife 1. Consorted with prostitutes and pedophiles. See smiling photos at parties with hookers and Epstein. Has long history of false bankruptcies, fraud, etc. See Trump University; large fine for fraud. Also charged with embezzling funds from Charity foundation; paid large fines and Jared can no longer legally manage charitable foundation in NY. I cannot personally reconcile his life, actions, and words with a Christian world view. I can only feel that those who do are mistaken. Thankfully none of us is perfect, but all can be forgiven.

Tiffy likes this.
  15. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Trumps deeds, actions and words are forgivable but they are absolutely inexcusable, and those who seek to excuse them are complicit with him, and deserve to come under the same judgment and scrutiny as shall he.

Empty likes this.
  16. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
  17. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    No, but by the same token one cannot be pro life, and simultaneously hate Trump (or any man). The vitriol against Trump which so many of his detractors exemplify speaks of a hatred that is quite incompatible with Christianity. It should give us pause to wonder why they hate, and whether we can, as Christians, reasonably share their sentiment.

Shane R likes this.
  18. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Hate is not an attractive emotion but God hates some things you know. One thing God hates is divorce. Mal.2:16.

Most real Christians don't hate Trump. They just hold him in derision and scorn. God probably does too, judging by his conduct in office.

Empty likes this.
  19. Empty

Empty Member

Very much agree. Don't hate Trump per se. What I hate is the way American evangelicals hold him up as the paragon of Christian virtue and the savior of America. See Franklin Graham for good example. It is not appropriate for anyone to hold Trump up as a paragon of Christian living when he clearly is not. We should not be promoting bullying, lying, hateful speech, etc as compatible with or a good example of what it is to be a Christian.

Shane R and Tiffy like this.
  20. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just,
    even they both are abomination to the LORD. Prov.17:15.

Empty likes this.