Christian responses to US Politics

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Tiffy, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    It would seem then, that no single political party can be trusted with the task of sorting your voting system out properly and the chances of the two main ones working together in your Nation's interests seems remote indeed. If that is so, then you are truly stuffed.

Incidentally our system in the UK, though less open to voter fraud, is far from being truly representative of the voter's choices. We keep on getting governed by political parties which got considerably less than half of the total votes cast. The current lot in power got only 43% of the voters crosses on the ballots, yet have an 80 seat landslide majority in the House of Commons, with little chance of shifting them for another 4 years at least.

2. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't know a lot about New Zealand, but they have been forced down the road of collaborative government as a result of the rise of minor parties. Interestingly from the last election where Jacinda Ardern's Labor Government was returned with an absolute majority, she has preferred to continue with collaborative government so she can pick the best people regardless of parties for particular rolls.

This diminution of the gross manipulation of the system by the two major's has also lead to a press that seems more interested in reporting objectively which means in general the kiwi's are better informed about what is actually happening.

We, the people, need to stand up and reclaim our democracies. We should have the press free and clear as the servants of truth, and informers rather than manipulators of the outcomes.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    Rexlion and Tiffy like this.
  3. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Yeah but I do :D
    The minor parties have arisen mainly because of our Mixed member proportional system which we thankfully voted to adopt some 30 years ago. Otherwise we would be in the same two party system that The UK and USA largely have.
    Ahem, unlike you we have a Labour Party not a Labor Party :) Jacinda (not Jacinta) probably wants a coalition Govt. to keep political friends in case things turn pear shaped in the future, and what's the harm in throwing the Greens a couple of Ministers outside Cabinet?

Tiffy likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Methinks thou dost belabour the point... :laugh:

AnglicanAgnostic likes this.
  5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Laboriously!

6. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Side Note:

The state Labour branches were also successful, except in Victoria, where the strength of Deakinite liberalism inhibited the party's growth. The state branches formed their first majority governments in New South Wales and South Australia in 1910, in Western Australia in 1911, in Queensland in 1915 and in Tasmania in 1925. Such success eluded equivalent social democratic and labour parties in other countries for many years. Labor also submitted two referenda questions in 1911, both of which were lost. The party adopted the formal name "Australian Labour Party" in 1908, but changed the spelling of "Labour" in its name to "Labor" in 1912

In standard Australian English, the word "labour" is spelled with a u. However, the political party uses the spelling "Labor", without a u. There was originally no standardised spelling of the party's name, with "Labor" and "Labour" both in common usage. According to Ross McMullin, who wrote an official history of the Labor Party, the title page of the proceedings of Federal Conference used the spelling "Labor" in 1902, "Labour" in 1905 and 1908, and then "Labor" from 1912 onwards. In 1908, James Catts put forward a motion at Federal Conference that "the name of the party be the Australian Labour Party", which was carried by 22 votes to two. A separate motion recommending state branches to adopt the name was defeated. There was no uniformity of party names until 1918, when Federal Conference resolved that state branches should adopt the name "Australian Labor Party", now spelled without a u. Each state branch had previously used a different name, due to their different origins.

Despite the ALP officially adopting the spelling without a u, it took decades for the official spelling to achieve widespread acceptance. According to McMullin, "the way the spelling of 'Labor Party' was consolidated had more to do with the chap who ended up being in charge of printing the federal conference report than any other reason". Some sources have attributed the official choice of "Labor" to influence from King O'Malley, who was born in the United States and was reputedly an advocate of spelling reform; the spelling without a u is the standard form in American English. It has been suggested that the adoption of the spelling without a u "signified one of the ALP's earliest attempts at modernisation", and served the purpose of differentiating the party from the Australian labour movement as a whole and distinguishing it from other British Empire labour parties. The decision to include the word "Australian" in the party's name, rather than just "Labour Party" as in the United Kingdom, has been attributed to "the greater importance of nationalism for the founders of the colonial parties".​

7. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Thanks Botolph for informing me (Mr Pedantic-protest too much) of all this. I realise your political party is spelt differently to our one and to normal Aussie/kiwi/British spelling of the word.

Botolph likes this.
  8. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Informing, but more information that I expected (or required). :laugh:

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
  10. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Latest recount finds even more Biden votes than first time round. Could this have exposed Republican voter fraud? Probably not, but maybe there should be recounts in all the states Trump narrowly won. Might find enough Biden votes there too, to overturn some of Trump's supposed 'wins' as well.

11. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Every time there's a recount Trump loses by more votes. It's poetry.

12. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    You got to try a little kindness
    Yes show a little kindness
    Just shine your light for everyone to see
    And if you try a little kindness
    Then you'll overlook the blindness
    Of narrow-minded people on the narrow-minded streets​

13. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Life is very short, and there's no time
    For fussing and fighting, my friend
    I have always thought that it's a crime
    So, I will ask you once again
    Try to see it my way
    Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong
    While you see it your way
    There's a chance that we might fall apart before too long
    We can work it out
    We can work it out

Nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus
    Off she went with a trumpety trump.
    Trump.
    Trump.
    Trump.

Any movement in the Whitehouse yet though?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  14. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Why is the Trump White House suddenly a very polite place to work?

Everyone’s now going around saying “pardon me.”

15. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    45 lawsuits is absolutely insane, profligate of public money and a gross waste of the courts time, even if you have installed all the judges yourself.

16. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    William Roper: “So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!”

Sir Thomas More: “Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?”

William Roper: “Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!”

Sir Thomas More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!”

― Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

17. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Law is not there for the benefit of crooks but for the regulation of society. After all 45 have been thrown out of court, what then?

18. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Why do foreigners become obsessed with US politics?...
    :dunno:

Shane R likes this.
  19. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have wondered the same thing.

In fairness, I know several people who seem to be obsessed with Canada's Justin Trudeau. And to a lesser extent, feel qualified to comment on UK politics since they can watch BBC news on television.

anglican74 likes this.
  20. Botolph

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Because it impacts our lives in a great many ways.

Because we go to war with you.

Because our financial markets veritably shake at any tremble on the US markets.

Because our superannuation earnings are significantly impacted by what happens in US Politics.

Because it is a spectacle like no other reality TV show.

Because it seemingly leads our own news cycles on TV day after day after ...

Because we live in an interconnected world.

Because in the postwar years until recently the US has sought to provide leadership and stability in the world.

and for many other reasons.