Cases of aberrant devotions to Mary in the Roman Church

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Stalwart, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Thomas Didymus

Thomas Didymus Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    Nothing much I can think of at the moment to add to this goodly, informative thread but can offer this tidbit despite my understanding of ancient Hebrew and koine Greek being underwhelming:

In instances where "Blessed" or "Happy" is mentioned in the Bible, both are correct given the context. "Happy", as I understand it, is the literal rending from the scriptural text. I can see the concern over using this word over "Blessed" given how modern readers may fail to see religious connotations in the current usage of the English language [talking about "Happy"]. This issue is simply resolved, regardless of which word is being used, when the expressed meaning is understood to represent that either of them is to be "divinely favored by God" or "having God's divine favor". Keeping blessed Mary in mind, this is also considered in the Gospels when she is conceived by the Holy Spirit to be the mother of Jesus, textual differences due to different faith traditions and interpretations aside.

If further explanation is needed after this description, we then can say it's when we follow God's will in spite of having our own, observing His commandments respectfully without turning our faith into consciously following rules for the sake of rules. Don't get me wrong. Rules are good and need to be followed. What I'm saying is, it is better to honor them subconsciously, that we do them without thinking about them. We love them because of faith and through our faith rather than turning it into a calculated exercise that puts us front and center, because of our desire, instead of God.

Psalm 119:97 KJ
    O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Tiffy likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    just saw this....

35ribcgsjsp61 copy.jpg

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    If by this he is meaning that Miriam, acted as the bridge between heaven and earth for God, by her obedience and willingness to surrender her flesh to God's purposes and take into herself the spirit of The Most High, providing a womb for the foetus of The Son of God, was travelling the road of obedience to Christ that WE must all be willing to travel, then he might have a point.

4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican Christian
    It would be nice if that's what Francis meant. But that's not what he said! He said that Mary herself is the road we all must travel in order to reach God. Heresy! Francis declares that Mary is the key intercessor of the Roman religion.

If Mary is any sort of road, she is a detour that leads to a dead end. DANGER: BRIDGE OUT

5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Yeah he did not say Mary's faith is the road we must travel, but that she herself is our road..
    Almost like they don't say that peter's faith was the Rock, but that he physically was...

As if they skipped the bible class where the Lord taught that the physical flesh profiteth nothing

6. rstrats

rstrats Member

USA
    In trying to determine what the attitude toward Mary should be it might be useful to start with what the Messiah's attitude was with regard to her. In general it doesn't seem very flattering.