Cases of aberrant devotions to Mary in the Roman Church

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Stalwart, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    A proper understanding of the importance of "I am the handmaid of the Lord, Let it be to me according to your word" underlines the truth that "the word became flesh and tabernacled in our midst". Without an embrace of the depth of the enormity of incarnation the resurrection is robbed of its power to save. Conversion is not a change of mind, but rather a redirection of the whole person. I think many underplay the importance of Mary lest they embrace some of the detestable enormities of Rome. Our concern should rather be to embrace the whole truth. I find this maxim handy.

Mary matters much. Mass matter more. Mission matters most.​

Lowly Layman, Brigid and Liturgyworks like this.
  2. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Christian Orthodoxy
    @Stalwart, I have PMed you my reply as it concerns the veracity of the letter and I prefer to discuss that aspect privately.

Publicly, my view is largely that expressed by @Botolph , albeit I agree with the Anglican formularies and also regard his quote as insufficiently Christocentric and also deprecatory to Holy Communion. I believe a Roman Catholic said that, and I disagree with it.

I would prefer @Botolph to say that St. Mary points the way to the Incarnate Word of God, our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ, who she did give birth to, that we might partake of the Divine Nature in the Eucharist.

Also @Stalwart on some reflection I am not sure we should ever venerate the persons of the Trinity but rather only offer to God divine worship, because to God alone is due worship, and any act that falls short of adoration is not sufficient as a form of Worship. I think veneration vs. Worship is a binary choice and assuming one could do both, one should only do the latter. I could be spectacularly wrong on this point, but so many ancient prayers in the Eastern church end “This we pray to you O Father, together with thy Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and Thy Holy Spirit, for to Thee are due all honor, glory and worship now and ever and unto the ages of ages.”

Now honor and glory might refer to veneration, but I think not, I think rather, worship alone can be offered.