Bowing to the altar

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by kestrel, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I agree.

2. mark1

mark1 Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My family bows towards the alter (which should be the focus of the Eucharistic service) when we enter the church before sitting.

Objection seems to come to those who do not want to seem Roman (that strange view that is part of the traditions of so many) or that nothing really special happens at the alter (no Real Presence. Ritual is part of Church Tradition. We are not part of Church that tries to eliminate ritual.

I am fascinated by the Anglican idea that we do whatever feels good to us. This seems so American and so 21st Century,

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Thankfully, mark1, the "do what feels good" error is Christianity-wide. Anglicans may be very visible exponents of it, but practioners exist across the Church. We have no special monopoly on stupidity.

Your commentary about Anglicans refusing to do what seems Roman, or what is associated with Romanism, is very apt. I tend to do that myself, and need to repent. It is a perennial problem.

Old Christendom likes this.
  4. Old Christendom

Old Christendom Well-Known Member

Religion:
    Reformed
    The altar is a symbol of Christ. It is where the Eucharist is celebrated. It is a sacred thing.

Bowing to the altar is just a recognition that this is not an ordinary table like the ones you have at home.

5. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    I would agree with this, even though it doesn't go far enough!
    I have either bowed or genuflected towards the altar all my Church life because it is where the Body of Christ is laid during the Eucharist!
    As far as I can remember it was ordered so by an injunction of the 1640 Synod, just before the deluge!

Scottish Monk likes this.
  6. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    And before more scrupulous minds wonder: no, bowing to the altar doesn't mean we're worshipping a created thing. We're merely showing reverence for a most sacred thing used in the service of the Lord.

Scottish Monk likes this.
  7. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said.

8. Old Christendom

Religion:
    Reformed
    That is not true but, then again, how would you know?

The very infallible source of dogmatic truth which is the Bible you have classified as a man-made document used to control people. Dawkins himself couldn't have said it better.

9. brjohnbc

brjohnbc New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Ecumenical
    To Old Christendom: If you believe in the "literal" truth of the bible then you might remember this quote:
    Matthew 7:1-5 (NIV)
    Judging Others

7 “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

10. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Bowing towards the altar never quite died out in England.[1] It is thus commended by Canon 7 of 1640: ‘We therefore [i.e. on account of the “pious,” “profitable,” and “edifying” nature of outward acts] think it very meet and behoveful, and heartily commend it to all good and well-affected people, members of this Church, that they be ready to tender unto the Lord the said acknowledgment, by doing reverence and obeisance both at their coming in and going out of the said churches, chancels or chapels, according to the most ancient custom of the Primitive Church in the purest times, and of the Church also for many years of the reign of Queen Elizabeth.’
    With regard to bowing at the Holy Name, Canon 18 of 1603 orders: ‘When in time of Divine service the Lord Jesus shall be mentioned, due and lowly reverence shall be done by all persons present, as it hath been accustomed.’ This was revived again by Convocation in 1662.]

The Parsons Handbook. Rev., P.Dearmer. http://anglicanhistory.org/dearmer/handbook/1899/chapter05.html

Kammi and CatholicAnglican like this.
  11. brjohnbc

brjohnbc New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Ecumenical
    I have always bowed to the Altar, Crossed myself and Genuflected before the Blessed Reserved Sacrament and before entering the pew. The canon say's .. as you have stated "think it very meet and behoveful, and heartily commend it to all good and well-affected people" .... It should be noted however .. that "heartily commend" is only a suggestion, not a canon unto itself. People should not be forced by tradition or dogma .. they should feel it in their heart.
    Does that make any sense?

I grew up nosebleed high church therefore it comes as second nature to me!

Maid Marie likes this.
  12. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    The Altar or Holy Table should be reverenced by a bow of the head or a shoulder bow. It is where the Holy Eucharist (Holy Mass) is celebrated and where Jesus indeed feeds us with His Body and Blood. As a place where the Holy Sacrifice takes place, indeed we should give it reverence. But you should only Genuflect towards the Altar if the Blessed Sacrament is reserved there, sometimes the Blessed Sacrament is reserved in an Aumbry on the north side of the holy sanctuary. If a church does not reserve the Blessed Sacrament then there is no need to genuflect.

13. Fr. Bill

Fr. Bill Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican Christian
    Still a newbie, wandering in here about 20 months later ...

Some of my Anglican friends insist (as Calvin did) that Christ is in heaven, at the right hand of the Father. And, so, we should never bow, genuflect, nod, or otherwise behave toward the altar as if He were "there." On the other hand, if one believes in the real presence of Christ where the consecreated elements are present AND there is reserved sacramental bread in the altar area (in a tabernacle, aumbry), then making some sort of "pious behavior" toward the presence seems appropriate.

In connection with the puzzlement attending these two points of view, I point to the Old Testament's comfortableness with God's ominipresence (cf. Psalm 139:7-10) and God's presence between the cherubim in the Holy of Holies (cf. Ps. 80:1, 99:1, Isa. 37:16). The two ideas were not, evidently, contradictory to the OT saint, and so should not be so for us.

Classical Anglican likes this.
  14. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    In my church, since the Tabernacle is on the High Altar, we always genuflect towards it, because Jesus Christ is truly present, Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Blessed Sacrament.

I am no longer Anglican, but am a Traditional Roman Catholic.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  15. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

CA! You have been sorely missed. It's wonderful to see you posting here again.

May God bless you with His peace in your new Church home.

May I ask what caused you to move to Rome? And could you explain to me what exactly makes one a traditional catholic? Do you reject V2? Do you believe that all outside of communion with the Pope are outside of salvation? Do you recognize the current Pope? Not trying to stir pots, just curious what "traditional" means in the RCC. I have a feeling it's probably as diverse as traditional Anglicanism, but would like a view from the inside.

16. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    I attend church at the feet of calvery. His body and blood is upon the alter as if it where that friday long ago.
    I kneel cause the extra consecrated hosts are upon the alter, his body and blood. That alter is the throne of ou Lord Jesus. I kneel also cause of the crucifix hanging there. The sacrifice for my son offered up by Christ .
    Not to kneel to me is paramount of denying the reality of ancient faith.

17. Rev2104

Rev2104 Active Member

Religion:
    Anglican
    Traditional catholic means i bet he is in communion with rome, and uses the 1962 roman missal(which i own a smal collection of old missal beautiful works). Attends a latin mass and if he is lucky gets sacraments by the older form.
    Also like a proper catholic takes communion on the tounge. My hands are unclean t touch the host so i won't take in the hand still.
    I hope you enjoyed the swim to rome. I have many great memories of my time there, but i swimmed away. Too hot and muggy in the summer.