Best Book on Church Fathers

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jul 13, 2019 at 11:10 AM.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Member

Religion:
    Methodist
    What are the books you recommend on the Church Fathers and the history of the Church?

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Booty, John E. The Church in History. The Seabury Press: New York. 1979.
    This is a lay friendly easy read that is surprisingly comprehensive for a short volume. This was part of a series that the Episcopal Church was publishing at the end of the 70s.
    Noll, Mark A. Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity. Baker Academic: Grand Rapids. 2012.
    This one selects thirteen key events from Church history and attempts to establish a context, narrative, and effect of what happened. This is still quite lay friendly, though some friends told me it was the Church history textbook when they were going through Trinity School for Ministry.
    Wilken, Robert L. The First Thousand Years: A Global History of Christianity. Yale University Press. 2012.
    This one is more academic than the first two but not dry.
    Hillerbrand, Hans J. The Division of Christendom: Christianity in the Sixteenth Century. Westminster John Knox Press: Louisville. 2007.
    This is a very specialized and detailed study of the Reformation but still quite readable.
    A series which covers the Trinitarian controversies comprehensively is The Way to Nicaea with The Nicene Faith (2 volumes) by John Behr of St. Vladimir's Theological Seminary, available through SVS Press. This series is highly technical: I'm talking about having some baseline knowledge of Greek to really unpack some of Behr's argument.

amazinglove likes this.
  3. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian

Attached Files:

amazinglove likes this.
  4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Member

Religion:
    Methodist