Baptism Questions

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Samantha Louise Georgeson, Aug 4, 2023.

1. Samantha Louise Georgeson

Samantha Louise Georgeson New Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hi everyone. I am a 27 year old female getting baptised next month. A bit of a silly question but wondering if there is something in particular I should wear or certain colours? Also if there is anything you think I should know before hand. I grew up in a non religious household so it's still all quite new to me. I am Church of England.

David and Fr. Brench like this.
  2. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Congratulations Samantha on taking 'the plunge'. You can wear anything really, (except just your birthday suit for decencies sake). In other words, smart casual is fine for effusion at the church's font. A bathing cossy and dressing gown is advisable if you are going for full immersion, but that's rather rarer in the Anglican denomination. They didn't have heated swimming pools in the middle ages when many of our church buildings in England date from. The water is a sybolic sacrament, you'll be pleased to hear you don't have to actually drown. :)

:signwelcome:.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  3. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Welcome and God bless in your entrance into the Kingdom of God officially.

4. Matthew J Taylor

Matthew J Taylor Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Free Church of England
    If you are wanting a nod to tradition, white is the traditional colour of baptism clothing, as maintained in the baptismal gowns of infants.
    Nonetheless, the clothing that is important in baptism isn't the physical clothing, but rather that in baptism we are clothed by the righteousness of Christ.

5. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Welcome to the forum and to the Church.

It would probably be better to pose any questions you have to the priest who is going to baptise. He is best placed to tell you what to expect as he'll know how things are done in his parish. If they have any requirements they expect you to meet then they should convey those to you.

Providing you are dressed modestly it is up to you what you wear unless the parish where you are being baptised has passed on any requirements to you.

I believe a lot of people will wear smart clothes for a baptism. I attended a baptism of a friend's granddaughter on Sunday just gone and with the exception of four guests everbody was dressed smartly.