Attended My First Anglican Service

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Carolinian, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Today, I attended my first Anglican service in a congregation in the United Episcopal Church of North America. The service used the 1928 BCP and a number of classic hymns from the hymn book. I was surprised to sing a hymn based on the tune of the Austro-Hungarian national anthem (for all my fellow History buffs out there). The congregation was smaller, but they were extremely welcoming and friendly. The sermon was also great and clearly relevant/Biblical, which is deeply refreshing to someone coming out of the "self-help" nondenominational sphere. I look forward to going back!

Jellies, Sean611, Rexlion and 3 others like this.
  2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Glad you enjoyed it. Was it a communion service or Morning Prayer

Carolinian likes this.
  3. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    It was a communion service. However, I didn't partake because I hadn't asked the Priest about his policy regarding communion. He told me it was open to all Baptized Christians after the service. The UECNA appears to alternate between communion and morning prayer weekly.

4. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Some of their parishes only have Communion on the first Sunday of the month. Some have Communion every Sunday. The presiding bishop himself alternates week by week in the manner you mentioned.

Annie Grace and Carolinian like this.
  5. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    congratulations!!

:friends:

6. Jellies

Jellies Active Member

Usa
    Religion:
    Christian
    :clap:That’s great, I’m happy for you!
    I haven’t gone to one yet but I pray the BCP everyday. It’s a great devotional practice and has tons of scripture readings.

Carolinian and Othniel like this.
  7. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    That is a good first step. The hard part (for some) is the realization that it wasn’t intended to be “devotional” (i.e., private, individualistic) at all, but rather the daily, public, congregational service of the assembled Church. If you’re actively using the Prayer Book system, I recommend Martin Thornton’s “English Spirituality” for a deeper understanding of the practice.

Matthew J Taylor and Jellies like this.