Apostolic Succession?

Discussion in 'Sacraments, Sacred Rites, and Holy Orders' started by BrethrenBoy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Here is a list for the Episcopal Church, dating back to 1784 (you can take it further back with additional research). Here is a list for the Anglican Mission in the Americas.

Robert likes this.
  2. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Thank you for the link to the AMiA article -- honest and wonderful!

3. The Dark Knight

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Oh yeah - it is a cool article! Very interesting. If I find an ACNA list, I'll post it as well. Most of their bishops would be connected to these lists, but I know that they've consecrated some new bishops recently.

4. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    Thank You! I'm kinda a geek in the way I get interested about things like this. I tend to try and avoid Wikipedia since I saw its claims about the origin if Judaism, but I'll take your word for it.

5. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I am very thankful for the AMiA; I hope they can survive.

If anyone went to their Winter Conference, they would have seen our jurisdiction listed there in their Fellowship of St. Aidan and St. Columba.

6. historyb

historyb Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    CEC (Anglo-Catholic)
    We have the same thing in my Church. In fact there was a big scandal in the Church, some saying that the First Patriarch was not ordained by apostolic succession properly and many left. Not very long ago they corrected the error and it was all fixed from the little I have gleaned

7. The Dark Knight

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Oh wow! That kind of thing is always messy.

Edit: I just realized that I left you guys out of my "list" hunt. :D If I come across a CEC Succession chart, I'll add it to the set!

8. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

9. The Dark Knight

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was really referring to the traceable lines/lists of ordination. If you wanted to see how far back you could go from a current bishop, you'd generally end up following some Catholic lines of ordination. They could be viewed as shared lines, if that makes it feel less objectionable.

And I'm confused...there's nothing "lacking" in our Orders, and they are not secondary. I think we may not be on the same page?

10. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Dear Friend,
    I’m sorry if I have offended you in anyway, but I was taken up by your phrase,’ Anglican ordinations originally came through Roman Catholic lines.,’ . This is a phrase that most Romanists in this country use to reduce the Church in England from a particular Church within the Body of Christ, to a disgruntled satrap of Rome. I was making the claim that Anglicanism,in its origin was simply a ,particular church within the Body of Christ, as it were, whilst Rome is no more than a Catholic Sect deriving from the Council of Trent some 1500 years later!

As I understand it Anglican Orders are traceable, through the Church in Wales, to S. David!
    As far as I know that is the earliest! Though the Church's Orders must go back to the very early days because the Church here was active not only in Britain, but through out Europe and apart from a few supporters of Rome in the late 600s our Ordinations were never queried. (Baeda. History of Ecclesia Anglicana.)

My apologies!

Highchurchman!

11. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I think you needn't apologize fro posting your beliefs. I like to see all viewpoints -- but that's just me.

12. The Dark Knight

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    No apologies needed! We were sort of talking about two different things. I might have given an impression that I did not mean to give. It happens. :D