Anyone know an good ACNA church around Tampa FL?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by anglican74, Nov 2, 2021.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I will be visiting the west coast of Florida, from Tampa down to Ft Myers, which is a new part of the country for me and would love to find a good solid ACNA parish down there

Thanks in advance

2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Around 10 years ago I lived in St. Pete and attended St Philip's Anglican, an APA parish in Pinellas Park. It was quite lovely and very orthodox. The rector at the time was very kind and humble, always willing to talk and teach. If it's not too far for you, I think you'd be very blessed by attending. It seemed very well established and committed.

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting that ACNA hasn't managed to populate that area. I was surprised to see only 3 locations on that side of the state using the locator. I am familiar with the prevailing missions strategy and it is city-centric. You may want to give the APA a chance.

This is what I do when I'm hunting for a church to visit on a trip: I go to a locator. Then I go to the page of the specific parish I am interested in. You can learn a lot by looking at a webpage. And most of it is little telltale signs, mostly from pictures. For example, Continuing websites have a horrible habit of posting mostly pictures of the altar and perhaps the ministry team; very few pictures with people. This is often because there are hardly any people to photograph. Is the altar against the East wall or free standing? Is it a proper altar or a communion table that they picked up from the Methodist rummage sale? All of these little details will give you some idea of the churchmanship. The name is also an important indicator. A saint's name indicates something very different from Grace/Peace/Faith/Hope and I am not interested in any place calling themselves a community or fellowship rather than a church or mission - they'll be way out on the evangelical-charismatic spectrum. There's usually a tab for the staff. That's informative too. Are they dressed like clergy or wearing the polo shirt that they golf in? There are usually email links for the staff too.

4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Good tips.

5. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    One thing all churches should do is update their website also.

6. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Thank you all…

yes I have see the APA parish and will check it out, but honestly I believe that reinvesting into ACNA is the most important thing to do, since all they want is to be Anglican, whereas the Continuing churches are drifting toward old-Catholic/PNCC and decidedly non Anglican ways of thinking

I am firmly and irredeemably anglican to the end, and want to invest into something which believes in the same identity

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I hope you enjoy it and receive a blessing.

BTW, I think the APA is a ministry partner with the ACNA, though I'm not sure exactly what that means.

anglican74 likes this.
  8. anglican74

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I’ll look into that

9. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Apologies for the digression. First, I do agree. However, I'm noticing a trend in the C of E which is making this difficult. Parishes seem to be abandoning there own websites and directing people to a website run by the C of E called "A Church Near You" (https://www.achurchnearyou.com/). That made me start to think today if there is some hidden policy from the top that is coercing parishes to do this. I agree with you that quite a lot can be gleaned from a website. Entries on the C of E's website, "A Church Near You", are not as revealing. Plus, many only fill in the bare minima and are lacking in detail.

Shane R and Othniel like this.