Anglicans and prayer rooms

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Scottish Monk, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Yes, I'm inclined to agree. Personally I like churches which have chapels in the transepts - it creates a quiet, intimate spot for prayer or just a place to sit and take time out from the day-to-day bustle.

One of the Priests in our Benefice has a cabin in his garden which he uses as a chapel. It's in a beautiful spot as it overlooks the sea. Makes you feel a bit like a Celtic monk or hermit.

I came across this article some time ago - I'd rather like a little chapel in the garden like this:

http://follyfancier.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/good-heavens-a-chapel-in-the-garden/

Toma likes this.
  2. Prayerbook Catholik

Prayerbook Catholik New Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I think dcn. Ferrar's little gidding is a fine example of an Anglican prayer room. The family sang the psalter, read the catechism, said daily prayers. My family has somewhat of the same when we gather for morning and evening prayer, or to read the scriptures. On prayer book holy days, given most churches do not hold services anymore and transfer it, we will celebrate with a little incense and sing the office.

Lowly Layman and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. Lux Christi

Lux Christi Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican (Anglo-Catholic)
    I think it is lovely if any one can actually make space for an oratory or prayer room. Coming from a Philippine Catholic heritage and background, it is very common to have a home shrine or home altar with a statue or two, votives, rosaries, and the like for prayer, meditation, and just pure comfort in having a little prayer space.

I hope to grow mine into something more uniquely Anglo-Catholic; mine at the moment, due to space constraints, consists of an image of Our Lady of Lourdes and a votive. I have had more elaborate altars in my youth at home.