Anglican Priest Joins Rome, names Church after Gregory

Discussion in 'Non-Anglican Discussion' started by Chartreux, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

Father Jurgen Liias, a former Episcopal priest, joined with Rome via the Coetibus and strangely named the Roman church he was part of after Gregory. You know how the Orthodox and Anglican apologists love to quote Gregory as a witness against the idea of the supreme bishop. What made him think this was appropriate?

Seeing all the articles listed made it sound like this was some huge deal:
    https://www.saintgregoryordinariate.org/about/staff/fr-jurgen-liias-our-founding-pastor/

But I want to know what exactly do you think gives him the incentive to think Gregory should be used to represent this?

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This looks like it was in 2012-2013, in the heyday of the Ordinariate.

I don't know of anyone joining the Ordinariate anymore these days.

From what I've been told, today the Ordinariate is considered to be a huge failure, both in that it failed to engender a huge wave of secessions, and in that those who did leave, then found themselves in the warm hands of Pope Francis the Merciful.

3. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Oh, Fr. Jurgen... he was my first rector. His "conversion" was, honestly ridiculous and I am still surprised that he actually went through with it. His last sermons at the Anglican Church before his retirement were on the "Three Streams", one each week. I was totally into it then. He kind of undermined it by going Roman though.

I suspect the appeal to Gregory the Great is that he's the Pope who sent St. Augustine of Canterbury to "re-found" the church in Britain. Ah well....

4. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    “What Gregory condemned was the expropriation of the title Universal Bishop by Bishop John the Faster, the patriarch of Constantinople, who proclaimed himself Universal Bishop at the Synod of Constantinople in 588. Gregory condemned the patriarch's act because universal jurisdiction applies solely to the pope.”

upload_2020-12-20_20-50-3.jpeg