"Anglican" Monasticism?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by The Hackney Hub, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Of those who say nothing, few are silent. ~Thomas Neiel

I think this is quite apt as well

Talking is like playing on the harp; there is as much in laying the hands on the strings to stop their vibration as in twanging them to bring out their music. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Removed unnecessary personal reference.
    -admin

2. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    Since monasticism is not part of the essence of Anglicanism (not existing from the Reformation until the latter part of the 19th century), I'm wondering if it should exist in our Churches now. Can "Anglican" monasticism promote the Reformed teaching of our Church? Can it promote genuine piety without fostering a spirit of "classes" of Christians?

Remembrance likes this.
  3. Sean611

Sean611 Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    These are some pretty strong statements. How does monasticism hurt the Church? Is the idea of monasticism rejected by Scripture? If so, please provide references. We could go through a list of things that the Church would be happy without or could live without, however, if it doesn't harm anybody or damage another person's faith, where is the harm? Who are any of you to question where and how God has called them to serve?

The Anglican tradition that was borne out of the Reformation does not fully represent what the Anglican Communion is today. It was a period in Anglican history, it's not all of Anglican history. The Oxford Movement is valid Anglican history as well and has just as much claim to call itself "Anglican" as any Reformed Anglican has the right to call themselves "Anglican."

There are Anglo-Catholics in EVERY province of the Anglican Communion. Anglo-Catholics make up a sizable portion of the Anglican Communion in EVERY province. I think that there is plenty of room for Anglo-Catholics and Reformed/Evangelical Anglicans in the Communion. However, Reformed/Evangelical Anglicans don't seem to think that there is much room for Anglo-Catholics in the Communion. I've not read or seen anyone post that Anglo-Catholicism is the true and only valid Anglican way. There seems to be an irrational fear of anything and everything that has ever had any past association with Roman Catholicism. We are the valid third branch, however, we have our roots in Roman Catholicism.

EDIT: Changed some of my language in this post, didn't want to come across as rude. :)

4. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My point: we shouldn't look over our shoulder, as Anglicans, as if our allegiance is owed to someone else: to Rome, to Patriarch of Moscow (or whatever), or anybody else.

That's certainly valid, I personally hadn't realized that you led an active monastic life. Would you be willing to engage in this discussion charitably (obviously from different perspectives, but charitably)?

5. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

And apparently there is no room for Monastics either.

6. Anna Scott

We owe a great debt to the monastic copyists for the preservation our Holy Scripture.

7. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I sometimes feel it would be nice to be a part time monk :D

Sometimes we can feel weary of living in what is often an anti christian society, and our Bible studies and prayer life can slip due to stresses and strains. Perhaps we would all benefit going into a monestary for a temporary time, reflecting on the gospel, moving away from the strains for a short time so we can go back again to ordinary life with renewed vigour.

Adam Warlock and Anna Scott like this.
  8. Anna Scott

A very wise suggestion from our token Presbyterian (formerly token Baptist). :p

I appreciate your comments, Scottish Knight.

Anna

9. Anna Scott

Gordon,
    I certainly hope we don't lose you. I know some very insulting things have been said about Monastics. However, there are many Anglicans who respect your calling.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

10. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The essence of Anglicanism is the Faith of God once delivered to the Saints. Is it not?

Scottish Monk likes this.
  11. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I am sorry, but I wrote a reply post, and then rewrote the post, and again rewrote the post. I was not happy with any of the post versions. Instead, I decided to delete the contents of my reply and go outside and pray to God under the stars.

...Scottish Monk

[​IMG]

Gordon and Anna Scott like this.
  12. Anna Scott

Not a bad idea. I love looking at the stars and feeling the cool night air. It's a reminder of the wonders of God's creation.

Scottish Monk and Gordon like this.
  13. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Canadian Cousin,!

Anglicans have never turned their back on the religious life! In the 1536 take over, it was state led and by all accounts it was fed by greed! Once having got untold riches the Aristocracy and gentry spent the next hundred years ensuring that the Church didn't get the land and wealth back, even to supporting Civil War!! Even so, when Eliza, came to the throne there was a budding stem of Monasticism apparent and no one objected strongly except the Calvinists about six or sevn houses men and women were closed down by calvinist demand.

In 1620/to/40 there was a encouraging attempt to restart the religious life in the C.in E, a family dedicated itself and its property to Christ. It was the Ferrar Family of Little Gidding.It was a religious life lived to the teachings of the Prayer Book and the daily office was for all the group and all participated in the good works so necessary , it was a success and prospered until The protestants having ruined the Church in England turned their viciousnesss upon these poor people and closed them down.

There was another attempt about a hundred years later by a Non Juror , who with two edicated ladies and other help, opened a girls school in the 1760s. It was seventy years later that they ,the religious, returned and are still here!

Alkayus, Sean611, Gordon and 2 others like this.
  14. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic

Scottish Monk and Anna Scott like this.
  15. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    The smallest monasteries (those with an annual value of less than £200) were suppressed by an Act of 1536. Even after that. it seems that Henry VIII may not have originally intended dissolving all the monasteries as he re-founded two houses in 1537. Even in 1538 the nunnery at Kirklees received a patent of re-foundation. From November 1537 the bigger and wealthier monasteries began to surrender or dissolve themselves by agreement. Waltham Abbey in Essex was the final house to surrender in March 1540.

There is evidence for unofficial continuity of monastic life. For example, five of the nuns from Kirklees lived with the Prioress at Mirfield for many years. A handful of monks from Monk Bretton continued to live with the prior nearby, taking their library with them. The Abbess of Denney in Cambridgeshire retired to her home with some of her nuns and continued to keep the convent rule. Many ex-monks became parochial clergy. Henry VIII founded several new Bishoprics and many ex-monks became Bishops or Canons of Cathedrals that had formerly been monastic institutions.

Mary Tudor re-established a few monastic houses, the most important being Westminster Abbey. When Elizabeth came to the throne she was prepared to let the monks of the Abbey remain provided they conform to the Prayer Book, they refused to do so however.

16. highchurchman

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    "Since monasticism gained ascendancy in the Church during the Roman tyranny, and was almost totally abolished in the reformation of the Church of England, this has always been a pre- vs. post-reformation topic. This very issue was one of the great distinctions between Anglicanism (of the first 300 years) and its Roman opponents."

Dear Friend
    you 'r wrong about monasticism and the Roman tyranny!, As far as I can see the early Church in Britain was strongly monastic, the best known being the Bangor Iscoed Monastery in North Wales. Its Abbot Dinooth, or Dinoth gave an astonishing good by and farewell to the messenger of Gregory the Great! At that time well before Romanism took hold, the Celtic Monastic movement
    was the system that held the Church in Britain together and the country was littered with abbeys and nunneries. This was the scene from the very early church until 1560 and considering that Christianity is supposed to have arrived 37 AD, that's a long time.

Whilst at the time of the Reformation, the Religious houses took a lot of flak, to use a modern term, over the last 2oo years High Church scholars have refuted these claims!

Alkayus and Scottish Monk like this.
  17. Anna Scott

highchurchman & Symphoriam,

Thank you so much for your historical contributions to this thread. Great information!

Also, we owe a great debt to the monastics for making and transmitting written copies of manuscripts of Holy Scripture and other ancient works. Prior to the invention of the printing press, everything was hand copied.

Also, if memory serves me correctly; during the Middle Ages, weren't monastics among the most literate, organizing some of the first libraries? Didn't they also make contributions to farming and science? Not to mention all the monastic works of charity, both past and present?

Anna

Scottish Monk and Adam Warlock like this.
  18. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    We can always rely on our historian Highchurchman to provide the details of what really happened. Keep up the good work... :)

Alkayus and Scottish Monk like this.
  19. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian

[​IMG]
    Aerial view of Little Gidding.

A wonderful blog entry at Lanier's Books.

...Scottish Monk

Anna Scott, Sean611 and Gordon like this.
  20. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Discover Bangor Iscoed -- a travel brochure

Steel Engraving of Bangor Iscoed, circa 1850 -- position cursor over engraving for enlargement

Bangor Map -- Google maps

...Scottish Monk

Adam Warlock and Gordon like this.