Anglican Memes!

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by Anglican04, Mar 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hmmmm. I see what you mean.

I have officially become an old fuddy-dud! Wonder how that crept up on me.....

A Garden Gnome likes this.
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
  3. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
  4. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
  5. Liturgyworks

Liturgyworks Well-Known Member Anglican

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Awesome.

6. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Now these are some proper Memes! Let’s keep them coming. I would love to see a Meme that honors the 1549, 1662, and 1928 American, BCP editions, while absolutely skewering the 2004 Irish BCP or the dreadful UK Common Worship.

7. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
  8. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    The only console I ever had was a Wii, which was moderately entertaining, but PC gaming wins all the way around. Perhaps I should try to find it and see if I can put Linux on it and turn it into a DNS and DHCP server or a DVR. That would ne an amusing use for one.

Before Sony removed the Alternate OS feature, the PS3 was an amazing platform, and lots of companies bought them, installed Linux on them, and used them due to their extremely parallel IBM Power Cell CPU, which if you bought it on IBM iron cost like $5, 000.

9. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I've owned nearly every major console at some point except the most current generation. Even had the more obscure ones like Atari Lynx and Wonderswan, to name a few. I was a big importer, too.

I'm surprised Liturgy is even in to games. Being an Orthodox, I assumed he was vehemently against any kind of 'worldly' entertainment period and super stoic, starve-yourself-in-a-cave and flog yourself orthodox monk type. Glad to see he still enjoys some of the pleasures in life. Of course, I myself use discretion in my entertainment and do not like profane stuff and I think he'd agree with me. I enjoy video gaming still but am more of a casual gamer these days than a hardcore one in my youth. I avoid vile entertainment though like GTA or demonic stuff like the more recently popular Shin Megami Tensei/Persona series, which, while being rather stylish and cunning, is very anti-Christian and blasphemous.

10. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    :biglaugh: :rofl:

It is amusing to consider that statement after having spent some time around Greeks, Romanians, Syriacs, Copts, and so on. The Orthodox Church for the most part caters to nationalities who have a certain cultural vivacity. As far as troglodytes engaging in self-flagellation is concerned, there is only one monastic in the Orthodox church known to live in a cave, that being Fr. Lazarus el-Antony, an Australian convert, and I am rather certain he would be aghast at the idea of self-flagellation or even starvation. Any thought that Fr. Lazarus has mastered self-denial is obliterated when one looks inside his coffee cabinet; the true connoisseur will find an ample supply of the finest Ethiopic and Turkish blends along with astonishing quantities of NesCafe.

Indeed prior to his becoming a hermit he acquired a nickname among the brethren: Abd-al-Nescafe (many Coptic monks are called Abd-al-Masih, meaning Servant of Christ in Arabic).

11. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I might be Abd-al-Chocolate. :cool:

12. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    By the way, did anyone notice how the Lion King promotes Sabellianism? The film is supposed to be an allegory of the story of Christ and quite heretically, the father dies instead of the son! That's truly blasphemous! :clap:

13. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Could you possibly be confusing it with The Narnia Chronicles, which was an allegory of Christ? I don’t believe that Lion King was intended as that...

14. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Indeed, the Lion King is a secular narrative. If I can recall from my childhood, when I did last see the film, perhaps three and twenty years ago at the latest, Mustafa is the presiding lion of a pride, voiced eloquently by James Earl Jones, but who to his most extreme misfortune has a jealous and treasonous brother, disfigured as it were by a limp or scar about his feline personage, voiced if memory serves by Christopher Plummer, or some other snarling Shakespearean. This jealous brother plots to commit an act of treasonous regicidal fratricide upon his brother, to which end he organizes the hyenas into an army which parades in the manner of the Russians on Victory Day, and who connives to cause a stampede; Mustafa, fearing for the safety of his son Simba, proceeds forthwith, wherein the reigning lion loses his footing and is held sadistically by his brother on a precupice, before being dropped into the stampeding herd and thus being trampled and crushed underfoot by the panicked beasts of his own dominion. Simba escapes harm, and is raised by a warthog and a meerket known as Pumba and Timon, who appear withh the retrospect of an adult viewer to have been intended as homosexual characters. After learning to eat grubs, Simba matures into an adult lion, encounters by chance a lioness born contemporaneously with himself, engages in conduct of a, shall we say, generative nature, with her, in a scene risque by Disney standards, and then returns to depose his late father’s rival with not inconsiderable difficulty. This story, needless to say, owes more to Greek tragedy than to any allegory with Christendom. It also featured baboons serving as clergy, if memory serves, and a disagreeable bird who mockingly sings the Sherman Brothers’ esteemed rondo It’s A Small World After All, from the beloved eponyomous attraction at the 1964 World’s Fair in New York, later moved to Disneyland.

Although I be a mere laic, I believe I can speak with confidence that there is no Sabellianism contained in the story described above, for there is no character analogous to the Holy Spirit and in no sense could Mustafa or Simba be considered modes of the same deity. Indeed they are not divine but rather clearly mere secular princes among the animals of the Veldt, who follow a religion officiated by colorful simians who sing in an African tongue, and who shake rattles and annoint the young lion cubs with a substance of a disagreeable appearance. These baboons, or whatever they are, not condescending to explain their doctrines in English, other than some vague song about “the circle of life” which is of a most annoying character, we cannot from them extrapolate any inference of a crypto-Sabellianism either. If there is a heresy alluded to, it would more likely consist of some form of transmigration indicated by the aforesaid “circle of life” song, except this is seemingly contrary to a vision that Simba has of his father post-Mortem.

Now, having not seen this film since I was eleven or so, when it was revived in theatres, although having viewed it on both its initial and subsequent runs repeapetedly with my family, as we did enjoy it, I might well in my dotage be failing to recall an important detail that could be interpreted as allegorical Sabellianism. However, if my childhood memories of the plot as outlined above, and I do assure members of this forum that the above is my own recollection and that I have not made recourse to Wikipedia, nor do I wish to, for fear that I would read some aspect of the story that would darken my childhood memory thereof further (it was depressing enough when some years back I read a book critical of the recent management of the Walt Disney Company in which the respectivr voice actors who played Timon and Pumba were alleged to have confirmed a homosexual relationship was implied, and this is of course a nauseating revelation to encounter about a film one enjoyed in one’s childhood), we can rest assured that for its myriad faults and ideological failings, the Lion King at the very least is not guilty of promoting a modalist, Sabellian triadology.

15. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    By the way that post was rather fun to write; I will openly confess to having epitomized the plot after the fashion of ancient authors; I would hope that the aforesaid summary would not come across, stylistically, as opposed to with respect to its content, as something that one would find out of place in any prose literature since the time of Cicero. This being not a mean pastime but rather something enjoyable, perhaps after church we could re-evaluate Aladdin in light of St. John Damascene’s detailed heresiological analysis of the Islamic religion? :laugh: I of course jest; that should I think prove to be a dull enterprise all things considered and is of fleeting relevance, but I must beg you my friends to indulge my sense of humor, warped as it is by the autumn chill, the unjust ache of prematurely arthritic joints, and the early hour. :tiphat:

16. Religious Fanatic

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have acquired a visual record of a particular specimen of swine consuming to nought it's preferred delicacy:
    [​IMG]
    Do not give pearls to swine, folks! :D

Liturgyworks likes this.
  17. A Garden Gnome

A Garden Gnome Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Screenshot_20191006-171214~2.png Screenshot_20191013-174358~2.png
    Not specifically Anglican, but funny nonetheless

Liturgyworks likes this.
  18. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Brutal :laugh:

Liturgyworks likes this.
  19. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    This isn't a meme, but....
    Our parish is gearing up to using the 2019 BCPs (which have been in the pews since July) in every service, and thus not printing in the bulletins those parts of the liturgy which can be found in the BCP. It was set to start next Sunday, but yesterday our rector announced that he was putting off the switch to abbreviated bulletins until the First Sunday of Epiphany.

So I remarked that when folks see those abbreviated bulletins for the first time, they're going to have a real Epiphany! :D

Fr. Brench and Liturgyworks like this.
  20. Liturgyworks

US
    Religion:
    Orthodox Christian
    Most amusing. I had no idea you were Anglican by the way, so that’s cool. :)

Fr. Brench likes this.