What Do You Think of Methodism?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Justin Haskins, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Justin Haskins

Justin Haskins Active Member

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    Just curious to find out what many Anglicans think of Methodism? I know this is kind of a double-edged question because there are so MANY kinds of Methodism, so for the purposes of staying on track, let's just limit it to John Wesley's original Methodism, the Methodist Church of England, and the United Methodist Church. I am not really interested in the holiness movement as a whole since that is a pretty big departure from the sacramental focus Anglicans have.

I am very interested to hear what people have to say!

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    My opinion: schismatics :p. Others may have other views though.

Also they introduced a very errant theology of regeneration upon faith, and that is totally wrong obviously.

3. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    The thief on the cross would have disagreed.

The errant theology is baptismal regeneration, a holdover from Roman error.

4. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    I was United Methodist for a while. I have a generally favorable opinion, although I disagree with the polity and with Welsey's views of sanctification.

The only thing keeping the UMC from going the way of TEC, PCUSA, and ELCA on morality is the size of the Southeastern USA Methodists and the presence of African UMC delegates to General Conference.

Justin Haskins likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Or an established, accepted Anglican belief based upon the clear teaching of Scripture.

6. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I was a Methodist PK. I remained a Methodist for about 50 years before joining the Episcopal Church. I find the UMC more similar than dissimilar from TEC such that it was an extremely easy transition for me. Granted there may be subtle but significant differences of importance to a theologian, but I venture to say that these are lost on the average lay person in the pew, myself included.

Dave and Justin Haskins like this.
  7. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I agree. Ironically, the polity is, because of its international connections, bringing it back to Christian orthodoxy on a whole host of issues. If you look at the last two general conventions, it's clear things are going in a positive direction for them as Africans and Asians gain more seats at the convention.

I am curious to find out why you chose to left if you have a favorable opinion?

8. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thank you for sharing your opinion. I am very interested to find out why you left after 50 years of being in the church! Very interesting.

9. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Or, more accurately, one of eight allowable and accepted Anglican beliefs on baptism, held mostly by Anglo-Catholics, and based on a faulty interpretation of scripture.

10. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Mostly for the reasons I mentioned -- polity and some doctrinal differences, including sanctification.

11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member Typist Anglican

Please direct the discussion of baptism to an appropriate thread.

12. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    Since this is old ground, I'd be glad to drop it altogether.

13. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
  14. Onlooker

Onlooker Active Member

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    None
    You may be interested to know that tHe Church of England and the Methodist Church of Great Britain are quite close to being in full communion:

http://www.anglican-methodist.org.uk/

The current stumbling blocks seem to me to be (a) the Methodists are waiting for the CofE to remove gender obstacles in the episcopate and (b) the CofE is waiting for the Methodists to decide how they will receive bishops in apostolic succession. We're all waiting to see how (a) pans out, of course. As to (b) the leading runner at present is for presidents of the Methodist Conference to be consecrated bishops, and for all future Methodist minsters to be episcopally ordained.

The Methodist Church of Great Britain is Wesleyan Methodist, of course.

15. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    I was not aware of this at all. Thank you for sharing with me. I think it is really amazing how the Methodists and the C of E in England could be so similar but the UMC and the Episcopal Church can be so different (from both each other and from the C of E and British Methodists.

16. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
  17. Celtic1

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    (Oops! Wrong thread)

18. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    We have a good relationship with the Methodist Church in my Diocese. Our Diocesan Bishop and the Methodist Chairman work quite closely together. In the village where I live we have several shared services with the Methodists throughout the year. A neighbouring Anglican Parish formed a local ecumenical partnership with the Methodists a few years ago after the Methodist Chapel closed due to declining numbers. They now share worship in the Anglican building.

Our Diocese was a hotbed of Methodism in the 19th century with somewhere in the region of 900 Chapels, many in remote places. Around a quarter remain in use but more are closing. Our Bishop predicts that in the near future we are likely to share more of our churches.

During the 19th century, the relationship between the Methodists and CofE in my Diocese was strained - the Methodists being by far the dominant denomination. A well known CofE Rector of the period was asked if he would be prepared to bury a Methodist in his churchyard to which he replied that he would gladly bury the lot of them!

On a more light hearted note (from our parish magazine) a class of schoolchildren were asked to write an essay on the difference between the Church of England and the Methodist Church, to which one child answered;
    "the difference between the Church of England and the Methodist Church is that the Methodist Church has double glazing."

So now you know!:p

19. Justin Haskins

United States of America
    Religion:
    Christian
    The story is great...I wish that the same could be said here in the U.S. but it just isn't the case. I think both the Episcopal Church and the UMC have drifted further to the "liberal" end of the spectrum than their British counterparts. Additionally, many Methodists in the U.S. eventually became (I think) modern non-denomination or Evangelical Christians, whereas in Britain, that movement has never really taken off outside of the Anglican Church (at least at the same rates as here).

Stalwart likes this.
  20. BrethrenBoy

BrethrenBoy Member

The United States
    Religion:
    Anabaptist
    On that note i've been windering, how does a Methodist service compare to an Anglican one?