Why are you Anglican/Episcopalian?

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by Scottish Knight, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    For all the anglicans on this forum, why are you Anglican? What do you think is the main strengths of the Anglican denomination and what can anglicanism offer that other denominations can learn from?

2. halleluia

halleluia Member

I'm somewhere between Episcopalian and Anglican right now. The two really aren't as identical as one would think. We've been with the episcopal church for so long; it's ike an institution. But some of the recent things are pushing people like me really out. I'm not talking about just Gene Robinson's ordination, but the Presiding Bishop's grab for power, and a slew of other issues.

But why Anglican/Episcopalian at all? The liturgy, the structured song, worship, greatly appeal to me. As for theological reasons, the apostolic succession is great, which I feel a lot of Protestants too easily gave up on.

Scottish Knight likes this.
  3. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm interested, what are the differences?

4. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I am Anglican because of a major crisis of faith. To make a long story short:

While I was at a Catholic Seminary the tensions I often experienced about sundry points of faith (the role of the Bible, due worship to God and saints, the Pope as infallible, how the Church should be governed, transubstantiation ) did only grow even though I was able, usually, to keep my mouth shut.
    However, my superiors doubted I had a vocation and I left the seminary. For the first few months after that I stayed attending the RCC until I finally understood, beyond my wishes, that I was no longer a Catholic.
    I stopped going to Church for a couple of months and then, and because I remembered some nice CF Anglicans and I remembered that I had always -strangely- felt at home in Britain (I'm a Spaniard) the three months I've lived there, I decided to go to the local Church of England chapliancy that tends to the British, Nigerians and other Anglicans who visit or live on my island.
    And then I knew this was it. :)

5. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Did you feel you had a calling to join the original RCC seminary? What happened, did the superiors hear your questionings and make sure you left?

6. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Yes to the first question. As to the second, the process of a Catholic seminarian is very different -from what I have learnt- to the Anglican. Basically, you can never be sure you will be ordained until the bishop is placing his hands on you.

Well it's complicated. There was no specific reason, I did not voice my dissent quite openly but I did tell a few close persons. However it did make me quite sad and for a large number of little things that would be one-sided to tell now and of little interest. In short they did not believe I was happy being a seminarian and then the ball began to run.

7. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Do you feel a call for Anglican ministry?

8. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    Yes, I do

9. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Very nice, I sure hope you go through with it.

10. kestrel

kestrel Member

Spain
    Religion:
    Church of England
    No, not really private, but it's ancient history and not that original; I'm sure we have already debated those points a few times in that-other-forum :)

11. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I am an Anglican because I have always been an Anglican, but now I am a re-emerged Anglican. I have dabbled and searched many different aspects of Spirituality looking for what was already in front of my face. At 59 I am now a staunch believer that labels don't really matter and that God really doesn't care what methods we use to worship and believe in God, it is simply the act of worshipping and believing in God that really matters:

I like the following quote that has been attributed to St. Frances of Assisi

Preach the gospel always, if necessary use words.

12. masuwerte

masuwerte New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Cradle Episcopalian, here. :)

13. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican

Actually that is quite a timely question as I have just finished writing a Statement of Spirituality for my Regional Minister to TSSF...

To summarise as I don't wish to plaster too much of my self here...

Child to teens - Anglican (Sunday School, Church, Boys Club, Choir, and Server)
    17 thru 20 - working with the Baptists as motorcycle evangelist
    20's till a few years ago - Spiritualist and Interfaith Priest also a Reiki and Spiritual healing teacher.
    Last while - I renewed interest in my roots as an Anglican - maybe it is because I am now going on 60, but I feel at home in the formality and richness of the Anglican liturgy... As I am a believer in 'many roads, many mansions' why not an Anglican?

14. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    I am an (Episcopalian) Anglican because I went looking for something, and this is were I found it. I spent over 50 years in other Protestant expressions. Changes were coming too rapidly for me as those denominations abandoned traditions and beliefs to try this or that new thing in a panicked attempt to stop the membership decline. I considered it to be akin to a dog chasing its tail. My own church came to practice what I labeled, "performance theology." I felt they were trying to present an attraction to keep the congregation entertained and engaged, and at the same time overlooking the real Attraction, the essence of the faith. I believe that Christian belief is not up to a popular vote.

Then there was the problem of my own faith view. I believe there are two popular images of Jesus. There is "Jesus is my good buddy I'll have a beer with him in Heaven" view. And then there is the "King of kings, Lord of lords I'll spread my coat on the road and fall to my knees as he passes by" group. I subscribe to the latter. Therefore, I longed for a more reverential worship, a place that my soul was fed.

I began by taking one Sunday a month away from my own church to visit a church of a different expression of the Christian faith. I visited lots of places but found myself repeatedly drawn back to one of my local Episcopal churches. As time went on, I was at the Episcopal Church more and my own church less. Once I felt an emptiness when sitting in my own (former) church; now I feel an emptiness when away from my (new) Episcopal Church.

I was confirmed in the Episcopal Church two years ago at age 58. I am home.

15. The Hackney Hub

The Hackney Hub Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    The Episcopal Church
    I'm an Anglican because I believe Anglicanism is the best representation of the early Church and the most faithful to Scripture. I have been involved in various expressions of Anglicanism but I am happily resident in the Episcopal Church now.

“I believe there is no Liturgy in the world, either in ancient or modern language, which breathes more of a solid, scriptural, rational piety than the Common Prayer of the Church of England.” John Wesley

16. pmcleanj

pmcleanj New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian (Anglican)
    I'm Anglican -- of the Anglican Church of Canada, and I am frankly not all that tolerant of the name's being co-opted by Americans who want to dissociate themselves from their national church. The member churches of the world-wide Anglican communion are all "Anglicans" and include the Episcopal Church of the United States. It is a diverse communion, and includes -- as valid Anglican expressions of Christian worship and life -- many of the things for which the Episcopal church is continually being attacked. Female ordination? Inclusivity and tolerance? If those things are going to be as much a matter for attack here as at other supposedly ecumenical Christian websites, I am as much out of here as I am out of there.

As an Anglican, I am called to be in the world and not of it: I look for challenge, outreach opportunities and encouragement from my Anglican support systems as I go out into the world and try to live Christ's message there. Sunday worship and internet support groups should be sources of energy for doing Christ's work, not sources of griping.

Gordon and The Hackney Hub like this.
  17. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Hear hear! pmcleanj I am from the Anglican Church of Australia and I don't understand the bickering that is going on either. It seems the answer to a problem in a Church community is to start yet another community that is why the Christian Church has become so splintered over the last few hundred years.

PS... after my initial reply I was doing our Community Obedience prayer and day eight of the Third Order of St. Francis principals tells us this:

I believe this still stands today only we have new Greeks on the block.

Stalwart likes this.
  18. pmcleanj

pmcleanj New Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian (Anglican)
    What a lovely quote, Gordon, and how appropriate!

Stalwart and Gordon like this.
  19. highchurchman

highchurchman Well-Known Member Anglican

Britain
    Religion:
    Anglican/Catholic
    Baptised in to the Church in England within a fortnight of birth. Went to two Church Schools and received knowledge of the work of S.Paul,S.Aristobulos and S.Joseph of Arimathea. For my Confirmation lessons my teacher was a marvellous High Church Priest who taught me all about the Seven Councils and the early church fathers. It was an eye opener and I've been an Anglican all the time since never looking Rome ward or to Geneva.

20. halleluia

halleluia Member

Great to read all this, thanks it's wonderful to hear in how many ways people come to the Church