Are Catholics Christian?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Nevis, Jun 3, 2024.

?

Are they?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Are they?

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
    Nevis, forgive me if I am making any false assumptions. It appears that you are rather upset with some elements of behavior on this forum. As a fellow Roman Catholic, I can understand that certain comments can come across as offensive or in some cases outright anti-Catholic. I've found through my time here that there are a few things that are helpful to keep in mind when reading such comments.

First, many of the members who make these comments were at one point Roman Catholics themselves and have had negative experiences that we do not fully understand. They may be coming from a place of hurt, misunderstanding, etc and a bit of negativity toward the Church is understandable and I think excusable.

Second, many of the comments are made out of misunderstanding or lack of knowledge and I don't believe the intention behind them is to be offensive or hurtful. There is so much misinformation about the Roman Catholic Church floating around that it's easy to form opinions on false information. Many Catholics themselves have strange ideas about what the Church teaches and perpetuate the false narratives. It can be extremely frustrating when we encounter negative comments that we know to be untrue but I think we should show some grace to our brothers and sisters in Christ. I do my best to assume the best unless those in question clearly show that they meant to wrong me and even then I try to remember that I do not know their experiences or motivations.

I've come to realize that certain members have directly opposing views to mine and reading their posts will more than likely cause me annoyance and result in uncharitable thoughts so I tend to skip over their responses. Perhaps that's something you could consider. I sincerely hope none of that has caused you any offense. I'd like nothing more for you to have an enjoyable and positive experience on this forum.

3. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    thank you, Spiritus! :)

Pub Banker likes this.
  4. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    an excellent text! :)

Pub Banker likes this.
  5. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Yes though the Roman church makes many false claims and promotes many unhelpful practices that are pastorally harmful at best and outright spiritually abusive at worst. That being said there are millions of faithful Roman Christians and Rome remains a part of the one true church though clearly not the true church.

Pub Banker and Nevis like this.
  6. Niblo

Niblo Member

Wales
    Religion:
    Islam
    Yes.

Nevis likes this.
  7. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Nervis, rest assured the RCC is very Christian but whose certain practices are in error. Fortunately the English Reformation cleansed the Faith of those errors and schisms commonplace at that time within the RCC. Since then we have rightfully reaffirmed our position as a Church - one of the parts in the full Body of Christ - that embraces the complete Christian Gospel that was taught in the undivided church for 1000 years, in an English patrimony.

For those searching on this forum, as a member of the Continuing Movement do I personally profess that we are perfect? Hardly. But I do believe our theological and liturgical underpinnings provide the appropriate foundation in worshiping our Lord in its fullness “…in holiness and righteousness all our days…”? Absolutely. As a result, I would like to think this branch is a wonderful venue for any “disenfranchised” (terrible word but the best I’ve got right now:dunno:) orthodox Catholic looking for a church home.

Nevis likes this.
  8. Nevis

Nevis Active Member

Deutschland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    well said! :)

Pub Banker likes this.
  9. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)

Thank you.

10. Expatrius

Expatrius New Member

English in USA
    Religion:
    C of E by birth
    Certainly some of the RCC is Christian, and equally probably some are not because there is no church (Anglican, CofE, Calvinist, Arminian etc) that is perfect this side of heaven: all (humans) have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God so I would say, let him who is perfect cast the first stone. We pray “forgive us OUR trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us” but we each have our own ‘pet’ dislikes we are unwilling to give up easily.

This is what ‘grace’ means

JoeLaughon and Nevis like this.