Who has converted out of Orthodoxy to become an Anglican

Discussion in 'Navigating Through Church Life' started by alphaomega, Jan 20, 2015.

1. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Does anyone here know someone who has converted out of Eastern Orthodoxy into the Anglican Church? I am going through that right now.

Anne and Peteprint like this.
  2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    That's great Jay. I came from Orthodoxy as well. :)

3. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Interesting. I didn't think anyone left Orthodoxy. I'm glad to know there are some Orth. that have embraced traditional Anglicanism. Sometimes, Orthodoxy, as great as it is, is just too much. I can't learn enough about the Anglican Way. So far, I have liked everything about it. Culture,tradition,heritage,beliefs,etc. I am excited about learning more and hopefully becoming more..

btw, what diocese/branch of Orthodoxy was you a part of?

Anne likes this.
  4. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Hi Jay. I was baptized and chrismated into the Serbian Orthodox Church, Western Diocese. Which Orthodox Church did you belong to?

5. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was a member of the Syriac Orthodox Church. I also attended a Bulgaria EO for several years. I don't want to be too personal, but what brought you to the Anglican church? I know it's a personal question and prob a long story. You dont have to answer, I'm just curious. I;ve never had a conversation with a former EO turned Anglican before.

Peteprint likes this.
  6. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    I don't mind answering Jay. The ethnic ghetto aspect of Orthodoxy was an issue for me, and what I felt was excessive veneration of the saints and images was also problematic for me. I like the more moderate approach that is to be found in High Church Anglicanism, where reason has a place alongside tradition and the scriptures. In High Church Anglicanism there is still the apostolic succession, the three-fold ministry of Bishops, priests, and deacons, and a high view of the sacraments-without the superstition and excessive asceticism that pervades much of Orthodoxy. I love beautiful religious art for its educational, decorative, and inspirational qualities, but bowing down to images, censing them, kissing them, and praying to them I felt was not in keeping with what we see in the scriptures. I would say that I am High Church, with Anglo-Catholic leanings, and I find a balanced approach to worship in Anglicanism.

Examples of superstition include a prayer against the evil eye that was on the back of an icon I received with an order from a Greek Orthodox bookstore, and our Serbian priest telling us that St. Basil of Ostrog's preserved corpse has its shoes changed by the monks each year because they get worn out from the saint wandering the countryside. Also being made to go to confession to receive communion I think is wrong. I felt that I was getting my ticket punched just to receive, even when I felt I had nothing to confess. Confession is good, but shouldn't be mandated all the time. I really feel that in the Eastern Churches the monastics took over by the 4th century and imposed much of the monastic mindset and asceticism on the laity, such as increasing the seven day Nativity Fast to forty days.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Lowly Layman, alphaomega and Anne like this.
  7. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I feel much the same way. I never felt completely comfortable with kissing icons, priests hands,etc.I know Scripture says greet each other with a holy kiss,
    but, really that much? It just felt wrong to me. The ethnic thing,... it seems that a lot of the convert majority churches are embracing another culture to the point of being fake themselves. When attending a cradle-majority church it seemed I was being fake. Don't get me wrong I love a lot of Orthodoxy and have been blessed to meet some the most holy people of my life in Orthodoxy. Some of the most profound moments of my Christian walk too.( The epiclesis in the Syriac Church is profound to the point of being frightening) I do not feel like I was meant to be Orthodox, God help me. Traditional Anglicanism seems where I am naturally meant to be. Thank you Pete for your reply back. It's def. a breath of fresh air. God bless you.

CWJ, Lowly Layman and Peteprint like this.
  8. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Thank you Jay. I think we are both on the same page.

By the way, I have the prayer book put out by the Syriac Orthodox Church, and I simply love it, even more than most of the EO prayer books that I have. There is so much positive to say about the EO & OO, and I still accept much of the theology, but Anglicanism is where I feel most at home.

Lowly Layman, Anne and alphaomega like this.
  9. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Syriac prayer book is hard to beat. I use mine almost daily, along w/BCP. I read the daily Scripture reading along with Orthodox commentary. lol.

Peteprint likes this.
  10. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Yes, it is wonderful. I also have five Orthodox prayer books, along with Roman Catholic and Lutheran ones; sort of a prayer book collection. :)

Which BCP do you use? I have the 1979 and 1928 US, the English 1662, as well as the Lancelot Andrewes Press BCP according to Orthodox usage, the REC contemporary English language, and the Canadian 1962. I also have reprints of the 1549 and 1559 BCP's. I want to get the proposed English 1928, but copies are expensive. I prefer the US 1928 and Canadian 1962, but I also really like the ACNA's texts for Common Prayer, which I hope eventually serves as the foundation of an ACNA BCP.

http://www.anglicanchurch.net/?/main/texts_for_common_prayer

alphaomega likes this.
  11. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I'm new to the BCP. I use REC 2003, based on'28 & '63 REC BCP. Traditional language. I have a EO prayerbook from Holy Transfiguration Monastery. Thats about it besides a few other little prayer rule guides. Your BCP according to Orth. usage seems very interesting. Thanks for the CP link,I'm going to check it out.

Peteprint likes this.
  12. Peteprint

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    alphaomega likes this.