Which Book of Common Prayer

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Jun 6, 2019.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Which edition do you use and why is the 1979 book so controversial?

Dave Kemp likes this.
  2. peter

peter Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I use the 1662 (though I admit that I do rather like the service of Compline as a shorter alternative sometimes to Evening Prayer, and this I believe has its origins in the 1928 Prayer Book). Not being American, I am not really familiar with the 1979 version, but I have vaguely heard that is takes a more modernist tone in its theology.

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The 1979 American was one of the first books to introduce multiple rites for the principle services of the church. The argument is that this change defeats the ethos of having common prayer. Beyond that, there were many changes to the format of the services (not to mention some of the wording). For example, I think Rite II Holy Communion could be served in 30-35 minutes if it was stripped to the minimum permitted by the rubrics, and in that form it is an impoverished service. Rite II has become the most common service in TEC churches in my area: diocese of Southern Virginia. Of course, most parishes tend to fill it out with lots of music.

The book is also difficult to use; there are too many options and a lot of page turning to find what comes next. Thus, most parishes pass out a handout with the parts that are to be used that week printed in sequential order, or project the service for the week digitally in some manner.

4. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The "order of service" is the most obvious change in 1979 compared to all predecessors. The contents of the communion prayers are also vastly different in the contemporary-language options, some of which are questionable, one of which contemptible.

The worst issue with it, over the past few decades, is the issue of how it rewrites baptism, confirmation, and holy matrimony. The theology of each is markedly different from previous Anglican tradition. Of course, its accepting of the ordination of women to all three orders was also very controversial at the time.

More of my thoughts: https://saint-aelfric-customary.org/2019/03/02/book-review-the-1979-bcp/

dariakus and Shane R like this.