Wheel of Time TV Series

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by bwallac2335, Nov 15, 2021.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I read the books maybe 5-10 years ago. A good solid series. Nothing overtly anti Christian in it at all that I can remember. Who is going to watch the TV show that comes out in 4 days?

Stalwart likes this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I’ll give it a shot, but really curious to see how they’ll present all the gender roles which were so intensely portrayed in the original books. Women were extremely feminine, seductive, haggish, shrewish, soft. Men were brooding, grouchy, hair-on-the-chest lumberjack types. And the magic reflected all these powerful archetypes. Normally I’d expect it to fail but seeing how Dune so successfully portrayed masculine men and feminine women, I’m unusually open to a good outcome.

Invictus likes this.
  3. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    What did you think of the series. It was good, drug, and then got good again

4. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I checked out after book 8, it just dragged on and on. It was like 15 years ago, and one day I woke up to the fact that I had a social life. I hear that book 10 and later it gets good again!

bwallac2335 and Invictus like this.
  5. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    It does pick back up. I am going to watch it and hope they don't ruin it.

Invictus and Stalwart like this.
  6. PNCC Old Catholic

PNCC Old Catholic Member

USA
    Religion:
    Old Catholic - PNCC
    Would someone mind giving me a short synopsis? I saw the commercial for it when I was watching another movie on Amazon prime, but I don’t know much about it. Looks fun.

7. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    The force that turns the world has a male and female part to it. It is always there but only certain people can reach it and use it. Some can use it stronger than others. The male side of the force has been tainted since the last fight with evil in a desperate last stroke led by Lews Therin, the Dragon. Thousand of years later the Dragon has been reborn in one known as Ran Al Thor and he is to fight evil again as it grows.

8. Stalwart

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's been 15 years since I read it, but the story is still really vivid, although I'm sure I can misremember things, so here goes. This is the narrative of the books, not sure how things will go in the TV adaptation.

Basically yeah, the central crux is this "force", kind of like in Star Wars but more scientific; people can study it in special schools; the world and all material things are made by it, and it's like one of the tangible forces of nature, like electrical energy that one can manipulate with one mind. And one of the unique attributes is this force is very dependent on one's sex, and maleness and femaleness results in this force being used differently. The male side of the force is very forceful and blunt, while the male side is more cunning and pervasive. Men and women also dress and behave very differently from one another, as I wrote above.

One of the other major themes is the all-pervasive presence of evil. The use of this force is closely connected to one's moral virtues, and evil has come to infect the male side of the "force". Thus all men who use it in the end become evil themselves (because the one who infected it was a man). So the evil has a sense of having all-encompassing power, and the good guys are consistently on the verge of being engulfed by it.

The evil is gathering armies. The good is also gathering armies, for the two to have the epic final battle for the soul of the world, kind of like Armageddon. However the evil can make its preparations more effectively, because it can use the 'force' freely, while for the men on the good side, every time they use it, they risk becoming evil themselves.

At the center of this drama is a young man, who is revealed to have more of this power than anyone in history. He's put on the quest of preparing the good for the final battle, but every time he uses his enormous power, he flirts with turning evil altogether. As he's training up to become the "grand master", we learn that he's somehow connected to original "grand master" who infected the force in the first place, 1000 years ago. That man wasn't strong or virtuous enough, and succumbed to the evil, so we'll see if our protagonist now will succumb to it also, or if he'll clean the force, and lead the armies of good in the final battle.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
    PNCC Old Catholic and Invictus like this.
  9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I would point out that the men don't go evil but the taint on the male side of the force will make them crazy and lose their mind.

Othniel, Invictus and Stalwart like this.