What's different between The Hymnal 1940 and the Book of Common Praise 2017/Magnify the Lord?

Discussion in 'Sacred Music' started by DadHocHypothesis, Oct 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

I understand that ACNA's Magnify the Lord Hymnal of 2020 (originally published in 2017 as the REC's Book of Common Praise) is more or less an updated and ecumenized revision of The Hymnal 1940. While there are general descriptions of some things that are added and removed, I've been unable to find anything in depth.

Would anyone be willing to share what hymns are "new" in this hymnal compared to 1940, or even just take a picture of the table of contents?

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    6 Goals were enumerated for the 2017 Hymnal:
    1. To preserve the best of The Hymnal (1940).
    2. To augment hymnody for liturgical seasons which are currently under-represented in The Hymnal (1940) or which feature mostly poor hymns.
    3. To create a hymnal that is representative of the entire REC.
    4. To incorporate "staple" hymns of the Anglican repertoire which do not appear in The Hymnal (1940).
    5. To incorporate "staple" hymns of the broader Church repertoire which do not appear in The Hymnal (1940).
    6. To incorporate a representative number of contemporary worship hymns which are well-formed in music, theology, and poetry.
    TableofContents.jpg

3. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I've been using the book for about a year. The first thing I will say is that the formatting of Hymnal 1940 is outdated and difficult to see and use. The new book is much easier to read. The 1940 had a lot of overly sentimental late 19th century content that was essentially filler. Few remember these songs, because they aren't memorable, and it's just as well that they went away.

There is much more seasonal music to choose from in the new book. There are some comparisons, I believe at the North American Anglican and some other blogs, giving hard data on how much more seasonal music is included. There is also a brand new Holy Communion setting written for the BCP 2019.

The 1940 also offered too many alternate tunes. For the most part, a parish is going to know the song one way and the other tune(s) are never used. This can vary regionally but the general principle holds true. There's also something the editor has chosen to name "Simplified Anglican Chant" that is explained in some detail in the back of the book. This is used to set many of the canticles from the daily Offices.