What is the right understanding of justice and punishment?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Truth, and Ethics' started by anglican74, Aug 3, 2018.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    The thread on capital punishment (and why the Church supports it) got me thinking about it:
    https://forums.anglican.net/threads...pose-death-penalty-in-all-cases-reuters.2597/

I have written:
    ..."the primary understanding of punishment in the atheistic west is recuperative, whereas in the Christian understanding punishment is punitive, and justice is the enactment of punishment upon the perpetrator... THus we'd imprison someone not to fix them, but to punish them for their sins and crimes"

Do I have that right?

2. neminem

neminem Active Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Truth, Love and Faith restores and heals.

Punishment is fear-based, and so too is perpetration. So how can a dog eating its own vomit cure itself.

The problem is, the worldly system of correction takes time. During that time, the perpetrator, if not watched may perpetrate again. So they keep them imprisoned, which is a form of punishment. A catch 22 situation.

3. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    Interesting question especially for someone who is against the death penalty. I will have to research it before I can give an informed answer