What is the Anglican position about abortion?

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Truth, and Ethics' started by niccolo25, Dec 21, 2015.

1. niccolo25

niccolo25 New Member

Italy
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    It's a sin, of course

Aidan likes this.
  3. niccolo25

niccolo25 New Member

Italy
    For all the churches of the Anglican Communion?
    Anyhow?

4. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Abortion is generally considered a sin. Unlike the RCC, abortion does not lead to automatic excommunication. However, the unjustified killing of another is considered no less grave a matter and must be repented of, confessed, and forgiven (either directly by God through prayer or declared absolved by God through the church by one of his ministers).

5. niccolo25

niccolo25 New Member

Italy
  6. Khater

Khater Member

United States
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic-SSPX
    It depends. If you're talking about real Anglicans, we tend to be very pro-life. The mainstream Episcopal Church isn't as pro-life though.

anglican74 likes this.
  7. niccolo25

niccolo25 New Member

Italy
    Is abortion immoral even in cases of danger of life of the mother?

8. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    The Anglican position is the position all Christians must have, we must oppose it. The Church from the beginning taught that abortion was wrong and we as Christians can not participate. One or our first set of teachings, outside scripture, was the Didache. The full title being "The Teaching of the Lord to the Gentiles by the Twelve Apostles. It is thought to have been written in the 50s or 60s...ie the First Century. The first part is the teaching of the way, what we as Christians can and can not do. The second part is a manual of Church order and practice.

In Chapter 2 verse 2, among other things we are commanded by Christ through the Apostles "you shall not abort a child or commit infanticide". I re-read the chapter and I do not see any opt out options for any of the sins. Very black and white, no gray areas.

niccolo25 you ask is abortion immoral? What is immoral? In English the understanding is immoral is not conforming to accepted standards of morality.
    I can only speak for the United States, abortion is considered moral something that is right and correct. The Church in the States allowed the morality of the country to change. Pro life is actually not the moral standard and in the States pro life is immoral.

So we must look at the standard of morality. Is it the standard God has given or the State? If your morality is the God standard, abortion is not moral and not allowed. When God or Christ or the Church declare a sin, there is never wiggle room to opt out in a gray area. Well until now. Even Rome allows one to follow their conscience and gives that greater authority over the laws of God. Anglicans and protestants do the same with the understanding that God will understand and accept our choice to violate His teaching given to us through Holy Scripture, Christ, the Apostles and the Church.

If you follow the governments line of morality in which the ideas of man replace the wisdom of God. Abortion is not wrong.

In the United States the majority of Christians, whether Anglican, Roman or one of the protestant churches all follow the individual conscience. What the individual believes trumps what God says. I can not count how many times as a priest I have said or read straight from scripture where God has said not to do something, that someone has come up to me and said "that is good for you but not for me." Man's morality replacing Gods. We in the Church, actually we priests, not wanting to hurt feelings have watered down the Gospel and the teachings. Numerous other reasons. Though I am not a big J I Packer fan, I do believe he is correct when he says the job of the preacher/minster/priest is not to entertain or make one feel good, but to preach the Gospel and doctrine of Christ. For salvation.

You point out the life of the mother. According the CDC, in the States they keep track of medical records, about 3% of abortions are for the medical needs of the mother, rape or incest. So it is very rare. Is it forbidden by the teachings of God and Church. Yes. God is the God of life. He tells us when we can morally take life. We do not get to decide that. We trust God, do our best medically.

Easy to say. Yes and hard to follow. I know it is hard as I and my wife have followed that practice. We have 5 living children. Our second child was a twin and his twin died prior to birth. My wife had difficulty with every pregnancy. Her first doctor was a devout Christian. He did everything he could medically and spiritually he could for my family. When we lost the twin, he cried as though my son was his own. He retired. His practice was taken over by a female doctor, who later left her husband and children for a woman. Our third pregnancy, comments too many kids. Sadly she was the only high risk doctor in the area. After the third child wanted to take my wife's uterus out as it was too damaged. We refused. Fourth and fifth child same problems with this doctor. She tried to scare us by telling us the child was going to die, my wife was going to die need to abort to save my wife. My wife refused. Our faith would not allow it. After the fifth child, the doctor left for the woman. My wife sought out another doctor when we thought child number 6 was on the way. This doctor, not a christian, examined my wife. Declared her in great health and thought there would be no problems if she became pregnant. We were confused and brought up everything the female doctor told us. Make this short, the female doctor lied. How many children are killed for a lie?

We may do something that the law of man agrees with. Our duty is the law of God. Sometimes the right thing is not the easy thing.

That said, can those who have had abortions and doctors who killed babies find forgiveness? Yes with true repentance God will forgive.

God, through the Apostles, tells us abortion is wrong no exception. You must decide if you will obey and trust God or not.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Thomas Didymus, Andy and niccolo25 like this.