What is a church?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Celtic1, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Celtic1

Celtic1 Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Celtic Christian
    What does it take to have a church? Do you agree with the article in the BCP on the definition of a church?

I basically do, but I think you can have a church wherever you have two Christian believers.

2. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I think a church is a group of believers together but I also believe you need a structure there aswell.

3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Church as structure comes from the word Kirk, which comes from Greek Kyriakon Doma (the Lord's House).

Church as community comes from Ecclesia, which comes from Kahal (cult, community).

"The Church" is a misnomer that has been applied to the Hierarchy for far too long. Every human being baptized into Christ is within the Holy Church of God - the Body of Christ. The Lord's words confirm this in so many places. :) The ministry exists to serve and administer good order to the public, observable Body. I doubt that the invitation of the Lord to come to Him applies only to those who are within the confines of a single community or under a single hierarchy...

This is a difficult thing... but be ye sure that "wherever to or three are gathered together in my name, there I am".

4. UK Anglican

UK Anglican Member

England
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I completely agree but I think even if you do attend a group church rather than a structured church you still need a form of structure there even if it is a relaxed one, otherwise you end up with so many different interpretations the people can become too 'liberal' (for want of a better word) in bible teachings and belief, you need a point of agreement for all to identify with. :)

Scottish Monk likes this.
  5. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yes indeed my sister. That was the point of the Episcopacy & Ecumenical Councils for nearly 1000 years. :) Even then, there will always be rebels and heretics - such as the entire "Oriental" Church, who split from the West & East in A.D. 451. Again, a difficult thing to reconcile with our Unity in Christ Jesus...

At least let our starting point be: "Love one another, even as I have loved you".

UK Anglican likes this.