What do you think about Radical Orthodoxy?

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Mark90, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Mark90

Mark90 New Member

UK
    Religion:
    Roman Catholic
  2. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I think it's a really good idea. Milkbank is on the right track, and it's very encouraging that one of the most prominent critiques of modernism is coming from the Anglican sphere.

3. Rhys

Rhys Member

USA
    Religion:
    Methodist
    Radical Orthodoxy sounds like it could be more or less identical to Neo-Orthodoxy, which also sought a 'third-way' beyond (not between) Liberalism and Literalism by asserting the authority of revelation, but was usually patronzied by Lutherans (Tillich) and Reformed theologians (Barth, Brunner); however, John MacQuarrie was a prominent Anglican associate. The bit about neo-Platonism is troubling.

I haven't been able to form a solid opinion on Radical Orthodoxy because I can't find a good definition of it.

4. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    I am distrustful of it for the following:

It uses post modern thought which in itself says there is no objective truth or absolute truth. Beside being self defeating, using an absolute to prove a relative thought, it is contrary to the narrative of Scripture. God is the truth. Truth can be know. Post moderns believe there are no objective moral values. Christians believe there are objective moral values. Postmodern writings often focus on deconstructing the role that power and ideology play in shaping discourse and belief. Postmodern philosophy shares ontological similarities with relativistic belief systems.

I am an absolutist. Anything smelling like relativism is rejected.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Brigid and Andy like this.