Well met!

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Flanders, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Flanders

Flanders New Member

I grew up in a nominally roman catholic but practically atheist household, began taking roman catholicism seriously in my teens and became an altar server. I had intended on becoming a priest, but I grew disillusioned with the Roman Church as I found there to be grave discrepancies between Roman doctrine and what the Roman church practically believes, and tried my luck within so-called traditionalist circles and ultimately sedevacantism. Later on, through my studies, I discovered how much roman catholicism differs from historical Christian praxis. I attempt to, despite being in a spiritual desert, hold fast to “that faith which has been believed everywhere, always, by all.”

I've become, over the last six years or so, become well-acquainted with some part of Anglican history. And despite being outside the traditional influence sphere of Anglicanism, I have nonetheless managed to find myself a copy of The Shorter Prayer Book and several copies of The Parson’s Handbook in thrift stores. My interest also lies with Old Catholicism (Scranton, not Utrecht) and Eastern Orthodoxy. Nonetheless, I am interesting in learning more about Anglicanism, which is why I joined this forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
    WendyP, DivineOfficeNerd and Stalwart like this.
  2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Dear @Flanders, what a touching story. Thanks for being among us.

As for traditional Anglican spheres, it is funny, today this is basically the entire world. Ever since the 19th century we've been international. I think of it like, if one of the ancient Apostolic Sees, such as Antioch, survived destruction and was the only one that carried the faith, and then made it world wide, that's what Anglicans are doing right now. One prominent Primate is in Latin America (Archbishop Gregory Venables), and another is in Egypt, holding forth under Islamic domination (Archbishop Mouneer Anis). The provinces of Singapore and Southeast Asia are going through an overwhelming growth in numbers, under the leadership of Archbishop Rennis Ponniah; they have deaneries in Thailand, Nepal, Vietnam, you name it.

But yeah first world, Europe, needs to be next on the map. I used to chat with a forum member here who lived in the Canary Islands, part of the Anglican Diocese of Europe. We need good strong faithful Anglicans in Europe to start to reconquer and redeem that cradle of civilization back to the kingdom of God.

3. DivineOfficeNerd

DivineOfficeNerd Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Laudian Anglo-Catholic
    Sarum here, welcome Flanders!

4. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Welcome from down under