Versions of the Bible

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by bwallac2335, Sep 4, 2019.

1. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    What are the best versions of the Peshitta, Orthodox Bible, and other Bible Translations. What do you use. I currently have only a NRSV. I used to have an ESL but gave it away to someone so they could have a Bible.

2. Anglo-cracker

Anglo-cracker Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    almost anglican
    I like the ESV, except for its translation of the Psalms. In many places it translates "mercy" as "steadfast love" which I guess is accurate (I am no language expert) but it wrecks the lyrical quality of the Psalms.
    I also use the NASB and the NRSV. I don't care for the NIV or the NLT, but they can be useful at times. Don't even talk to me about a paraphrase, I break out in hives.
    I was raised on the KJV and it holds a place in my heart. It also gave me quite an edge when we read Shakespear in high school English Lit.
    I have an Orthodox Study Bible but I couldn't say which translation it is (not home right now) but I like to get the Eastern perspective.
    Its good IMO to use multiple translations.

Cooper likes this.
  3. Magistos

Magistos Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    I'll second that. Multiple translations are my preference. I use an NRSV with Apocrypha daily, but I also have an ESV, an RSV, a 1990s vintage NIV, a KJV, a CSB, and an NASB. I also have access to (read, my wife has) an Orthodox translation and a Catholic translation (RSV-CE).

I also have the Bibliotheca Bible set with it's translation.

Liturgyworks likes this.
  4. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I mostly read from the MEV (Modern English Version). It is really close to the KJV, except its updated language gets away from the 'thees and thous' and suchlike. Still there's nothing wrong with the KJV once a few of the more obscure bits of phraseology have been explained.

As a 'baby Christian' in the '80s I used the NIV, but then I learned better. NIV caused me to doubt the Bible's dependability because of its way of saying things like, "This passage is not in some manuscripts," in various places; it was a faith-destroyer as much as a faith-builder.

5. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    The BCP translation of the Psalms is not the KJV. I much prefer it for poetic reasons rather than literal accuracy.Much more 'singable.'

Not a lot of people know that, as Michael Caine would say.

Incidently I am preaching on Sunday 8th Sept. partly on Psalm 121 and its innacurate translation in the BCP of verse 1.

I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills : from whence cometh my help.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  6. Anglo-cracker

USA
    Religion:
    almost anglican
    As someone who is on the road daily (200 to 400 miles daily) Psalm 121 is dear to me.

7. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I think I might get an Orthodox Study Bible to get some EO input and probably an ESV

Liturgyworks likes this.
  8. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
  9. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    Never heard of it until now but I love it.

anglican74 likes this.
  10. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    To bad it costs about 3 house payments.

anglican74 likes this.
  11. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Try the Catena app, if you have an iphone like I do, it is free, and has the commentaries from the church fathers on the whole of the scriptures

Fr. Brench likes this.
  12. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
    I don't have a smart phone. I might get the Psalms and a few others over the years.

13. Oliver Sanderson

Oliver Sanderson Member

UK
    Authorised Version. The modern English language lacks the power and poetry to deal with such a text. I am genuinely curious as to the reason anybody would choose to read anything else .

I've read the NIV and other modern attempts and I would say they are equally as obscure, especially Paul's epistles.

Is this a good thing? 'thee' and 'thou' can only refer to one person. This language was becoming archaic in 1611, and was used by the translators to emphasise both the personal nature of God, and the eternal quality of the Bible. The updated language 'gets away' from this.

GreatfulAnglican and Rexlion like this.
  14. Oliver Sanderson

Oliver Sanderson Member

UK
    Yes, Myles Coverdale (knowing little Hebrew) translated from the Latin, whereas the Authorised Version came from the Hebrew. The Prayer Book kept the Coverdale translation because apparently it was too familiar with the choirs and congregations to change.

15. mediaque

mediaque Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Anglo-Catholic (TEC)
    As most have mentioned, I have several Bible Translations as well. I have the NRSV, KJVER, MEV and KJV that I use regularly. As I came from the RCC, I also have the NAB and the RSVCE.

16. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    You'll get no argument from me on this, because you make a good point. We now use the word "you" in both singular and plural contexts. Whereas back then (and in KJV) it was made perfectly clear whether something applied to one person (thee, thou) or to many (ye, you).

17. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    On my computer I've downloaded (and been using for several years) e-Sword, a free program (donations accepted). One can choose to add multiple Bible versions, commentaries, and more. Today I added The Ante-Nicene Fathers (9 volumes) to this program.

18. bwallac2335

Religion:
    ACNA
  19. Anglo-cracker

USA
    Religion:
    almost anglican
    Liturgyworks and bwallac2335 like this.
  20. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have that as well. I would wait a bit. It's supposed to be reissued sometime in the near future. The first edition pares the NKJV NT with a proprietary OT translation based on the LXX. They have been working on an English translation of the NT 'Patriarchal Text' of the Greek Orthodox church for a few years now, which will supplant the NKJV.

Liturgyworks and Anglo-cracker like this.