Veneration of the Cross

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by CRfromQld, Apr 10, 2023.

1. CRfromQld

CRfromQld Moderator Staff Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    On Good Friday in our service we had Veneration of the Cross.

I felt quite uncomfortable with this in an Anglican Church and I can't recall it being done before. Our priest was raised a Roman Catholic and I think he has imported this from the RC church.

I'm interested to hear do you have Veneration of the Cross in your church and what do you think of it?

2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    What do you mean by Veneration of the Cross?

3. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    We had it. I didn't attend. I venerate Christ, not bits of wood. And it is not 'the wood of the cross'. If all the true bits of the cross that have been claimed to be held by various gullible RC churches round the world, were piled together in one big pile, there would be enough of it to build a large barn. :laugh: If Christ had been electrocuted, would they have concocted a service of kissing the seat of an electric chair?

Rexlion likes this.
  4. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I used to do this as a RC but I have no desire to do it now I am an Anglican. I think the RCC has gotten hung up on spectacle and veneration of all things not Christ, perhaps in an attempt to create emotional responses. I don't think they realise how alienating all of these extraneous little devotions can be to those outside the faith (and perhaps to some within as well). It is like gilding the lily, so to speak. The facts of Jesus' incarnation, death and resurrection are fantastic enough without trying to add all kinds of other religious 'bits and bobs' to the faith. The more little devotions and ceremonies the RCC adds to the faith, the more they appear to be cult-like.

As for the veneration of the Cross, to me this just seems like something that should be a personal choice, and done privately if desired.

Tiffy likes this.
  5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    We had stations of the cross, but no veneration of the cross.

Tiffy likes this.
  6. Br. Thomas

Br. Thomas Active Member

U.S.A.
    Religion:
    Anglican Catholic
    Our small Anglican Catholic parish had the same this year.....Stations of the Cross and no veneration of the cross, this year. In the past, we had both.

7. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    Stations are OK as a teaching aid and as education or revision of an aspect of the faith, as long as one includes only the scripturally factual ones and leaves out the utterly contrived and fictional ones.

8. CRfromQld

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Do you include Veneration of the Cross in this latter category?

9. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I'm not aware that Stations of the Cross involves veneration of the images or models depicted on the walls of the church. I see no problem with using them as teaching aids, (though very few parisioners are illiterate today so the value in teaching the faith by stations is now rather redundant compared to the middle ages when they were first introduced). It is probably inevitable that there will be associations with historical claims by many to have posession of bits of the actual Cross of Christ. Veneration of a piece of physical wood is, in my opinion, so close to idolatry and foolishness as to make me feel very uncomfortable if compelled to take part. I venerate the recollection of Christ's act of sacrifice to redeem mankind by pledging allegience to Him and his philosophy of life, as his disciple, not by kissing bits of wood, whatever shape they may come in.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2023
    Rexlion likes this.
  10. CRfromQld

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I was unclear. I thought you viewed veneration of the cross in the category of utterly contrived and fictional ones.

11. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have never felt the need to use a humeral veil. I also do not have a monstrance. I heard a colleague insist that daily Mass and eucharistic adoration are essential to growing a parish.

12. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I remember when I was in the RCC, there was a time or two during Lent when we'd all line up to kiss the crucifix.

Now in the Anglican church, it bugs me a bit to comply with the routine of bowing the head to the cross, but I do it to fit in. I mean, I know it's not veneration to bow the head, but it reminds me so much of that crucifix-kissing and also all the genuflecting before the RC altar (which had to do with the consecrated hosts stored there). Old emotional baggage...

Annie Grace likes this.
  13. CRfromQld

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I would have thought the Gospel was.

Shane R, Rexlion and Annie Grace like this.
  14. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I was referring to some of the 14 stations of the cross that are not mentioned in scripture. Some are, some are not. However stations of the cross does not involve 'veneration'. It is a contemplative and instructional form of service, unlike Veneration of the cross in which worshippers are invited to 'venerate' or 'kiss' a piece of wood represnting the cross of Christ.

15. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I was taught that we do not bow or genuflect to objects in the Anglican church. WE bow or genuflect in 'the direction' of the place where the Eucharist is celebrated as a matter of convenience, fully knowing that Christ's presence is all around us, but that is a particular place where we may focus our attention and routinely recognise his Lordship over our life and everything we do.

Rexlion likes this.
  16. Rexlion

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    So the folks over your way don't bow the head at the cross when the crucifer comes down the aisle? I see that all the time over here.

17. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I certainly don't. I don't know about others though.

Rexlion likes this.
  18. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    If memory serves, Pope Benedict had authorized a reformed version of the Stations early in his Pontificate. All of the sentimental conjecture such as the Veronica character was replaced with purely Scriptural content.

19. Annie Grace

Annie Grace Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican (Australia)
    I do bow my head but I am not sure whether this is out of old habit from the RCC or if it is just an act of respect. I will have to examine my motives now.

20. Tiffy

Tiffy Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    CofE
    I shouldn't worry too much about it. Even if it was motivated by pure ignorance or idolatry Christ would understand and forgive. It's only other people who might be offended or impressed and they don't really matter all that much in the realm of eternity where Christ reigns. :laugh: