Variations in Altar-Serving

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Toma, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends,

How many different methods have you encountered in the service of the Holy Table or Altar, either by experience or observation? Are there widely-divergent ways of preparing all the various vessels, in Anglicanism?

On Friday I am assisting at a very small celebration of the holy Eucharist for a retired community. It is my first time serving at an Anglican Holy Communion, and it's a little daunting. Their pyx for holding unconsecrated bread is a small silver box! They probably use a burse, palls, purificators, and other things.

Please pray for me, that this sacred moment may do well for the edification of the souls who gather on Friday. :)

2. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Probably best to get the guidance of the Celebrant, but could include:

remove dust cover on the Altar to expose the fair linen cloth
    set up the Altar book or cards in their proper positions, ribbons in right places for the day
    check the box of breads, wine and water cruets. lavabo dish and towel, spare Purificator at Credence
    set corporal on Altar
    place Chalice in midst of Corporal
    drape a folder Purificator across the top of Chalice
    place Patten on top of Chalice, pressing down on Purificator
    place Priests wafer in Patten
    cover Patten with Pall
    drape Veil neatly over Chalice
    stand Burse upright to the side of Chalice

Light candles if used, Epistle side first then Gospel side. (Assuming Anglican two - snuff in reverse order)

General checking of Bible/Lectionary used for readings, check ribbons in right place for the day. Check Celebrant has necessary books in stall if celebration not entirely done at Altar. Make sure you have an order of service in the sanctuary for your own use if serving at the Altar. Possibly help Celebrant vest with some preparatory prayers in vestry before service begins.

to carry vessels to Altar...

put a folded Corporal in Burse
    place a folded Purificator across top of Chalice
    place Patten on top of Chalice, pressing down on Purificator
    (Priests wafer can be put in Patten at this point)
    cover Patten with Pall
    drape Veil over Chalice
    place Burse on top of Chalice.

Carry Chalice by the stem and secure all by placing other hand on top of the Burse.

Toma likes this.
  3. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Very in-depth. Interesting ... but this is only a small retirement home with a non-denominational altar. :D I note that your directions are all pre-liturgy. Is the actual uncovering, setting, and use of the vessels/linens during the Offertory all done by the celebrant himself? For example, in my experience the Corporal remains in the Burse until the Offertory, whereupon it is given to the priest, who opens the burse, removes the corporal, and unfolds it himself on the altar.

I'll certainly save this post of yours for future reference. Thank you very much brother.

4. Symphorian

Symphorian Well-Known Member

UK
    Religion:
    Anglican, CofE
    Customs will vary which is why it's best to check with the Celebrant. We've always set up this way and it's widely done like this in my Diocese.

Toma likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It's done by the priest, unless a deacon is present.

Toma likes this.