Use of BCP in Personal Devotion

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by Nathan Davy, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Nathan Davy

Nathan Davy New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Christian
    In my earlier days as a non denominational Christian, personal devotions of reading scripture and prayer were a major focus. It seems like the BCP's morning and evening prayer services with lectionary scripture readings would serve well for individual daily devotions, however I know these are originally intended to be used in corporate prayer. Therefore a couple questions:

How many of you utilize the daily prayer service for personal devotion? If so do you adapt it to be personal rather than corporate?

How many of your churches use morning or evening prayer on a regular basis for corporate prayer?

I've been listening/ praying a long with a podcast version of morning prayer on my commute to work recently.

2. Carolinian

Carolinian Active Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I have used MP and EP every day (with an occasional lapse, in which case I make up the scripture reading) for the past 2+ years. It has become an integral part of my life as a Christian. I make no alterations to the service when praying alone, except I tend to leave out the prayer of St. Chrysostom. My Church uses MP every other week.

Matthew J Taylor and Othniel like this.
  3. Clayton

Clayton Active Member

United States
    I started using the BCP (US 1928, found in a used book shop) as a Roman Catholic for my daily devotional about 5 years ago. At first I used it pretty straightforwardly without making any modifications.

Last year the Roman Catholic Anglican Ordinariates published their versions of it, so I bought the Commonwealth edition, which as far as I can tell closely follows the 1662 BCP.

Since I had kids, I don’t have much time to do EP these days, so I sing a little truncated version of compline to my oldest as we rock to sleep. Basically just De Profundis, Te lucis Ante Terminum, Nunc Dimittis, the Lord’s Prayer, and then the seasonal Marian Anthem.

he’s usually sound asleep before I finish the Salve Regina. Works like a charm. Then it’s dishes and laundry.

4. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    The Book of Common Prayer can be used in three ways, all of them legitimate.

1. As formal liturgy prayed coroporately by a group;
    2. As formal liturgy prayer privately as an individual;
    3. Prayed privately as a personal devotion.

In the Church of England, the clergy are canonically bound on a daily basis to do no. 2 above, if they don't do no. 1.

In my parish there is only Evening Prayer prayed corporately on Sundays. Our rector says it's easier to plan his day if he's not bound to be in church at a set time each morning and evening. Of course, he should be prepared to do this; however, past experience has shown that hardly anyone, if anybody at all, turns up. Therefore, he was tying himself to times and no one was coming so he wanted to free himself from these unnecessary constraints.

5. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

I say the Lord's Prayer and the two unchanging Collects ("For Peace" and "For Grace" in the morning, the other "For Peace" and "For Aid" in the evening) from the daily office most days. Sometimes I'll add a few other prayers, or say the Litany instead, or read the Epistle or Gospel from Sunday. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll sing a Psalm.

The ACNA 2019 one?

6. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

I am a fan of Cradle of Prayer's Morning and Evening Prayer audios.

https://cradleofprayer.org/

I especially appreciate the Litany, which I try to say daily.

7. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    I use my church's 2019 BCP Daily Office

8. youngfogey

youngfogey Member

I read the 1662 BCP's psalms every day.

Othniel likes this.
  9. tooblu

tooblu New Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    My wife and I, (and now our 6-month old) read MP and EP out of the ACNA Book of Common Prayer daily, though it is often rushed and pretty informal. We usually skip the invitatory and canticles and some of the prayers. I wanted music, and some other stuff/customzations, so I started a booklet project. Here is an example.