Trinitytide in the 1928 (1945) Lectionary

Discussion in 'Liturgy, and Book of Common Prayer' started by DadHocHypothesis, Oct 12, 2023.

1. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Link for reference.

So, until this point, I've assumed that the various options in the 1928 BCP for the Office on Sundays were thematically related to the Eucharistic readings. It seems like they probably are, with the exception of the third track of options for the Sundays after Trinity, which appear to be more or less sequential, not even tied to each other within a single service or a single day, much the same as the weekday readings.

Is this right? Is there any book or other source explaining the 1945 lectionary? We Anglicans (and Angli-fans) love to write about every minute detail of the BCP; is there any commentary or rationale for this bit?

2. DadHocHypothesis

DadHocHypothesis Member

Eureka! Bayard Hale Jones, author of The American Lectionary and architect of the 1945, says exactly what I'd noticed: options 1 and 2 are topical for the Epistle and Gospel (and Evening Prayer for the second row always includes the Gospel of the day, apparently), and option 3 goes through the Creation through to the conquest of Canaan in the morning, "accompanied by New Testament correlatives," whatever that means; and in the evening it's from 1 Samuel to the Captivity, with a simultaneous course from Acts.

3. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    There are 46 Anglican churches. Could you please state to which church's BCP you refer? I may infer, but should not need to do so, from post #2, with your mention of the American lectionary, that you refer to the US BCP. However, as I don't know where you live or to which church you belong it would be helpful if you could provide this information.

4. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    It is the 1928 American BCP with the 1945 updated lectionary. It is still in use by many in the Continuum in the US as and within the REC