Traditional Anglican teaching on genders?

Discussion in 'Questions?' started by anglican74, Mar 5, 2019.

1. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    Queen Victoria wrote this in 1870:
    "I am most anxious to enlist everyone who can speak or write to join in checking this mad, wicked folly of 'Women's Rights', with all its attendant horrors, on which her poor feeble sex is bent, forgetting every sense of womanly feelings & propriety."

She also said:
    "Feminists ought to get a good whipping. Were women to 'unsex' themselves by claiming equality with men, they would become the most hateful, heathen and disgusting of beings, and would surely perish without male protection." -- Queen Victoria, Queen of England, 1870

I for one can affirm sympathy with this view, and it has been reaffirmed many times throughout Anglican history... I know it is harsh, but the Great Queen felt an indignation at something which we today don't even pause to think about... Have we lost a core and essential part of the Anglican teaching on gender, in the last 100 years?

2. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    Is this the same Queen Victoria who must have read Gen 3:16

"
    To the woman he said,
    “I will make your pains in childbearing very severe;
    with painful labour you will give birth to children.""

and then chose a newly invented pain killer for her next childbirth.

I've taken the liberty of spelling labour correctly in the above NIV quote.:p

Ps. apparently it's because of Q. Vic's refusal to believe that women could be gay unlike men that for many years in Britain it was illegal to be a male homosexual but not a female one.