They are accursed...

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Lowly Layman, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The 18th Article of the Articles of Religion states: "They also are to be had accursed that presume to say, That every man shall be saved by the Law or Sect which he professeth, so that he be diligent to frame his life according to that Law, and the light of Nature. For Holy Scripture doth set out unto us only the Name of Jesus Christ, whereby men must be saved."

Bishop Ryle wrote that "There are few stronger assertions than this, throughout the whole Thirty-nine Articles. It is the only anathema pronounced by our Church from one end of her great Confession of faith to the other. The Council of Trent in her decrees anathematizes continually. The Church of England uses an anathema or curse once, and once only; and that she does it on good grounds..." (Knots Untied)

There is a wideness Anglican orthodoxy that I find very refreshing. There's room enough for all who believe Jesus Christ as the risen Lord. We do not damn "heretics" too eagerly...perhaps to our detriment...but the scriptures are our guide in this regard.

What is the line in the sand? Who is accursed? Is it limited to those who see Christ as one way among many to heaven? Who else is anathema to the faith?

Botolph likes this.
  2. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    Perhaps those who profess Christianity but their actions are unChristian?

3. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

If that were the standard, would anyone be spared the curse?

Madeline and Aidan like this.
  4. CWJ

CWJ Active Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    As I've been studying the Articles...it seems to me that the 18th refers to (and condemns) non-Christians who sincerely follow their religion and try to do good by it, without knowing Christ.
    And perhaps simply universalism as well.
    But I wonder what prompted the Article writer(s) to state it...was there a sect around at the time that taught what the Article condemns?

Andy and Lowly Layman like this.
  5. Christina

Christina Active Member

England
    Religion:
    Anglican;Eastern Orthodox
    I think that it is for God alone to definitively say who is Accursed.

As a Christian I should not teach that all religions or faiths lead to salvation, because that is not what the Scriptures or the Church Fathers teach. Neither should the Church teach this and those who teach it who claim to be part of the Church of God should be corrected by the Church.

But, will anyone who holds other beliefs be saved? Or will those who claim to be Christians but who do not truly repent and who continue to do what they know to be sinful be saved? That is for God alone to decide.

alphaomega and Madeline like this.