Theological education

Discussion in 'Personal Advice, Care & Prayers' started by Taiping, Jul 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM.

1. Taiping

Taiping New Member Anglican

Malaysia
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm currently in my final year of my second Bachelor's degree and there are still certain things in life which I'm still unsure of. While visiting another Anglican church on Sunday, I spoke with the priest who delivered the sermon about God's call and mission as these things were in my mind. After answering the questions I had, he asked about me and he suggested that I work in a seminary first for a bit and then consider doing an MDiv as a full time student.

So, now I'm pondering whether or not I should get a theological education that sort of comes with a possible job offer. Could anyone here advise me about Masters level theological education and what should I consider before getting myself into it?

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Hello Taiping.

I took my M.A. in Practical Theology online from St. Joseph's College of Maine, an RC institution. They also have an M.Div. I know that finding a suitable program can be both difficult and expensive, and I was happy with what this program offered:

https://www.sjcme.edu/academics/online/programs/

3. Taiping

Taiping New Member Anglican

Malaysia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Thanks!

I was also thinking what is the difference between a Masters in Divinity and other equivalent theological qualifications. And also if such a qualification is useful/practical.

4. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    Traditionally the M.Div. has been the standard for those seeking ordination. That being said, I know of some who have been ordained without it, and there seems to be a growing trend away from making it mandatory.

Fr. Brench likes this.
  5. Fr. Brench

Fr. Brench Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    In the US, the MDiv is a sort of "dead end" degree, you can't go to the doctorate level after it without supplementing it with a ThM or other master's level degree, because our MDiv is not specialized enough academically. (Instead it's very broad, covering a wider range of subjects, which is why it's the standard for 'practical' ministry training.) But as I've learned from an English friend lately, that may not be true in other countries. So you should look at the degree programs and the church's requirements... if you're aiming to teach or aiming to minister, there may be other degree programmes that would befit your situation better.

If you're going to be working in a seminary before becoming a student, then you'll probably have ample opportunity to get a sense of the culture there, what the programs are for, and all that fun stuff.