The sinners prayer...conversion to the faith

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by David, Nov 7, 2023.

Tags:
  1. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello All,

What parts of our Anglican Liturgy would/could be applied to allow someone convert to the faith in a liturgical fashion?

The scenario im pondering is: someone want to convert and has approached a lay person in day to day life...the sinners prayer comes to mind but to guide the convert liturgically privately there and then what sources in our liturgy (BCP, CW) coudl be used/adapted for this.

God bless,

David.

2. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    The Offices of Instruction and the Order for Baptism.

bwallac2335, Br. Thomas and David like this.
  3. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I would like to bring some more attention to this thread.

What parts of our Anglican Liturgy would/could be applied to allow someone convert to the faith in a liturgical fashion?

4. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    In my opinion:

Humility: minister’s invitation to confession and general confession (morning and evening prayer) and Prayer of Humble access (Liturgy of the Eucharist)

Mystery: Prayer of Consecration (Liturgy of the Eucharist)

Instruction: Offices of Instruction (A Catechism is an excellent resource but is non-liturgical)

David likes this.
  5. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Cheers @Pub Banker. I like the 3 fold way of your suggestion Humilty, mystery and instruction.

My plan is to create a private liturgy for layperson use for Conversion of a desiring non Christian...got a feeling I might need it soon. Akin tk tye evangelical sinners prayer but mire of a short liturgy. Comments welcome by all.

Pub Banker likes this.
  6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    My rector and parish delegates (including the deacon) just returned from the diocesan synod. The deacon told a story to us about (if I recall all the details correctly) meeting a priest in attendance who is Jewish by heritage but as a youth he did not believe in God. As a young adult he developed a desire to know God, so he read the Quran and the Bhagavad Gita, but they didn't answer his questions. Then he moved to Israel and served in the IDF. While there he was convinced by friends to become an orthodox, practicing Jew. He got married to a Jewish girl. He read the Talmud and other commentaries. The IDF made him a chaplain.

Then someone said to him, if you're going to be an orthodox chaplain, don't you think you should read the Tanakh? So he picked it up and started reading. Eventually he got to Isaiah 53, and the description sounded so much like the Christian Jesus, this man was agitated and angry. So he rushed to the house of a Jewish female friend to seek answers. He says he banged on his friend's door and demanded, "Explain this to me!!" Little did he know that this friend was a Messianic Jew, and she'd been praying that God would give her an opening to share the Gospel with him! After a fruitful discussion, the man went home and told his wife, "I just found out that Jesus is the Messiah!"

When the Jewish community found out that this man and his wife were talking about Jesus, they went to the couple and tried to dissuade them. Gently at first. Then the yelling, insults, and slurs began. But remarkably, says this man, all the harassment stopped immediately after they were baptized. Apparently the Jews recognize baptism as the point of no return. ("I have decided to follow Jesus; no turning back, no turning back.")

Based on the word of God, I am confident that when one comes to true faith in Christ, it is a conversion of the inner man and no liturgy is needed. But God gave us baptism to "seal the deal" and the baptismal liturgy is an important touchstone for the new Christian (as well as an advertisement to the world) testifying to the changed life.

Br. Thomas likes this.
  7. Pub Banker

Pub Banker Active Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Anglican (APA)
    Beautiful story, Rex. We have MJ's in our parish. Devoutly faithful.

Rexlion likes this.
  8. David

David Member Anglican

England
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Fantastic account and indeed a beautiful reply. No liturgy is required but baptism to seal the deal as you say.