The Once and Future Bible by Greg Jenks

Discussion in 'Sacred Scripture' started by Gordon, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    All,

Now this one is an interesting read, it was the catalyst for igniting my interest in the Bible and the Anglican Church some months ago. It is a introduction to the Bible for religious progressives you can find a little more information at this site: http://www.onceandfuturebible.com/

Blessings, Gordon

2. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    It is a fresh look at the Bible from a new and intellectual perspective. I think this quote summed it up for me:

"The intended reader of this book is not a traditional believer, secure in her assumptions about God and salvation, but someone struggling to live with integrity in a time when traditional religions seems increasingly irrelevant. The goal is not to persuade the reader that the Bible is credible but--more modestly--to offer an account of the Bible that may encourage religious progressives to reclaim the Bible as a valued part of our spiritual baggage..."

For me this is exactly what it did...

It goes through the books of the Bible and talks about them from a different perspective to what the average Bible commentary does. If Jenks believe something is a myth he says it is.

All in all a new and refreshing view of the 'Word of God'...

halleluia likes this.
  3. halleluia

halleluia Member

I see, that does sound quite interesting. What does it mean to be progressive, in the way the book understands that term?

Doesn't it mean people who end up watering down Christian doctrine, rather than taking it genuinely and honestly as it is, and grappling with it? Would you say the book waters down Christian doctrine, or does it take people who would, and manages to convince them of the basic truth of real Christianity?

4. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    No I don't believe it waters down Christian doctrine, it assists in a deeper understanding of how we read and interpret scripture for ourselves. All of us have probably read through commentaries and listened to others including our Parish priest give us their interpretation of scripture. This guides us through the Spirit to make up our own minds about what scripture is telling us. IMHO