The Nicene Creed in Overview

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by Botolph, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Botolph

Botolph Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I have a bit of a fixation about the Nicene Creed, which I suspect is poorly understood and rarely taught.

Most Sundays and Holy Days we stand together and affirm the faith of the Church in the words of the Nicene Creed.

If we can summarise and highlight the layout of the Creed in some ways I think it helps us understand the meaning, so here goes.
    1. We believe in One God
      - The Father ...
      - The Son ....
      - The Holy Spirit ...​
    2. We believe in One ... Church
    3. We acknowledge One Baptism ...
    4. We look for the resurrection of the dead ...
    Some of the layout in liturgy does not always make that clear, and modern rendition tends for shorter statements which can loose some of the integrity so that the belief in The Father and The Son and The Holy Spirit can be misunderstood as three belief statements, rather than as an expansion of our belief in one God.

I am clearly not advocating any change in the words of the Creed. The Church of which I am part ACA (Anglican Church of Australia) uses predominantly the ELLC text from Praying Together as the credal statement. I suspect the shorter sentences and the seeming independence of the we believe being repeated for each person of the Trinity, rather than the traditional 'and in' tends to reduce the impact of our One God statement as more connected to the Father than to all three persons of the Holy Trinity.

I am interested in thoughts and views.