The New Age

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by CFLawrence, Jun 19, 2020.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    So folks, I’m looking to make a clean start in life right now. I’ve been involved in new age practices in the past but what this post is about specifically is yoga. Iyengar yoga. The physical postures or asanas. It is the opinion of many that yoga postures cannot be divorced from Hinduism. So in order to wipe the slate clean I am disposing of all my yoga props (mats, bolsters, straps, blocks) and books. Everything I’ve used for postures and meditation.

and another practice that seeped into my regimen was centering prayer. I’m doing away with that also. All centering Prayer is is Transcedental meditation. I’m replacing it with 30 minutes of the Jesus Prayer twice a day.

I’m sure Western Christianity and Eastern is rich enough without importing all this nonsense into our Rules and Regimens.

CFL

Rexlion likes this.
  2. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Congratulations! So it would be fair to say that you're through with the posturing! :laugh: And with the imposture! :rofl:

This reminds me of the time when I made a bonfire of a bunch of books and rock LPs. (That Pyromania album was demonic!) Sometimes we have to clean out some stuff and make a clean break. :cheers:

CFLawrence likes this.
  3. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    You spend four months alone in your home praying it becomes apparent what has to go!

4. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    This month I read “The Cloud of Unknowing” and “The Book of Privy Counsel”. This book is the antidote for the Christian who think they have to go searching the Orient, the Far East or even Eastern Orthodoxy to be spiritually fulfilled. It took everything I know about Buddhism, Hinduism &tc and cleansed, corrected and baptised it. It was revelatory and solidly catholic. The only version I can recommend is written by Carmen Acevedo Butcher... very orthodox. This book change my spiritual life dramatically. Not for new Christians. Good for someone who’s been practicing mental prayer for awhile.