The Golden Legend (Catholic fairy tales)

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Chartreux, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

Is anyone here acquainted with the stories of The Golden Legend? It's the collection of medieval saint lore compiled by Jacobus de Varagine. You could describe at as the Catholic version of the Brothers Grimm stories. Some of it is alleged to be factual while others are merely pious apocryphal accounts. I always found these kinds of stories amusing.

2. Stalwart

Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Is it a consensus that the stories were taken as fables in the Middle Ages? I seem to remember that they were taken as pretty robust factual records of the past, nor unlike the medieval legends of Alexander the Great slaying dragons, or King Arthur stories, all seen as mostly faithful recollections.

In fact I remember that Ignatius of Loyola took the Golden Legend so factually that he was inspired to start the Jesuits as a result. There is a scene when he’s right about to start the Jesuits, where he takes his followers, and they all put on the exact same clothes as in some great consecration scene from the Golden Legend, and repeat upon him the very words as said in the ritual on the page.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
  3. Chartreux

Chartreux Member

Yes, I know they were taken more seriously in antiquity, not so much now, however.