The Anglican Communion in America

Discussion in 'New Members' started by YOLO_Jones, Jan 31, 2016.

1. YOLO_Jones

YOLO_Jones New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical
    I have a question. Since it appears that the ECUSA may be in the process of getting booted out of the communion, are there any plans to create a theologically faithful church in America that is in full communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury?

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

The ACNA's presiding was invited to this previous Lambeth Conference and is recognized by a number of primates in the AC already. I would that the ACNA is the most likely candidate.

3. anglican74

anglican74 Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican (ACNA)
    This is already being done in Anglican Church in North America (acna.org). I believe they've been at it since 2008, and it's Primate has now been invited to several meetings in Canterbury, including this last one just concluded where ECUSA had been put down.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

The question might become, unless Canterbury stops trying to appease anything that moves and gets back to orthodoxy, will the ACNA even want to be in full communion with them. :hmm:

Lowly Layman, Aidan and anglican74 like this.
  5. Mark

Mark Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Andy,

As a priest in the REC, which is part of the ACNA. While we would like to be in communion with the CoE, they appear to be heading in the same direction as the TEC and ACiC. The last time I spoke with my fellow priest there was apathy toward CoE. They much rather be in communion with the GAFCON and other Orthodox Primates. The last two ABoC have been utter disgraces. Our Canon Theologian made the comment of not being unequally yoked in reference to ABoC.

We pray for TEC, ACiC and CoE to return to orthodoxy and scripture. And we pray the Holy Spirit preserves us in the faith.

blessings

Fr. Mark

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

Thanks for your post Fr. Mark. I too am in prayer for a return to orthodoxy and scripture. Although I have only been exposed to all this for the past couple of years, I was blessed to have been a part of an ANiC parish, for my first Anglican experience, and I am continuing to be blessed to be a part of a fairly conservative, traditional parish in the ACiC. I am somewhat fearful though, as my priest has been nominated to replace a local bishop. While that may have some positive impact for the diocese in the long term, it may spell the end of the status quo in my current parish. Oh for a return to the Old Paths!

Lowly Layman likes this.
  7. YOLO_Jones

YOLO_Jones New Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical
    Another concern of mine however is the ethnic unity of the communion. I currently attend a nondenominational charismatic African-American congregation although I plan on converting to Anglicanism. I am saddened by the fact that most of the African-American Episcopalians are theologically liberal unlike most of their non-Anglican counterparts who tend to be fairly conservative.

With the Anglican churches in Africa being so much more conservative, it makes things very disunified.

I woul like to see Anglican congregations within the African-American tradition. A lot of African-American churches are drawing more and more from African Christianity. My pastor made two trips to Africa last year.

I think it could be a great fit to bring the Anglican tradition and the African-American church tradition together.

Swordswoman likes this.
  8. Swordswoman

Swordswoman New Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I see that the ACC has not been mentioned, can you all tell me how it is thought of in the big scheme of things?

9. Lowly Layman

Isn't the ACC a member church of the ACNA?

10. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

If, by ACC, you mean Anglican Church in/of Canada, it was referenced above using ACiC. The Anglican Church in Canada is not part of ACNA, in fact, and unfortunately, they have some similar problems as TEC. Both were expected to protest the attendance of AB Foley Beach at the recent Primate gathering.

The Canadian diocese of ACNA is ANiC (Anglican Network in Canada).

11. Lowly Layman

I mean the Anglican Catholic Church (ACC).

12. Andy

Andy Member Anglican

:doh: So many letters......so little time....

13. Spherelink

Spherelink Active Member

Religion:
    Unhinged SC Anglican
    Alphabet soup :happycry:

:discuss:

14. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    So unlike the Letters of the Living in the Baha'i Faith :D

15. Mark

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    Good Evening,

The Anglican Communion is growing the fastest in Africa. In fact most Anglicans are African!

I know of an Anglican Providence in America parish around Atlanta is has a large African presence in the parish.

I would suggest converting into the nearest Orthodox Anglican parish. Learning Anglicanism and the rich and beautiful liturgy and being
    the missionary who takes this wonderful way of worship to the African-American community.

Fr. Mark

Lowly Layman likes this.
  16. Mark

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    The Anglican Catholic Church is a continuing church and in not in communion with the ACNA. Though its ArchBishop attended an Anglo-Catholic conference in Fort Worth last June. He was the preacher at one of the Evening Prayer Services. The conference was mainly ACNA. But had a good
    continuing church presence.

The REC, Reformed Episcopal Church, is a member of the ACNA. It is in communion with the Anglican Providence of American, a continuing church,
    The REC is one of the more Orthodox members of the ACNA. It and Bishop Iker are probably the best ways of reaching out to the continuing churches.

Fr. Mark

17. Aidan

Aidan Well-Known Member

N Ireland
    Religion:
    Traditional RomanCatholic
    What's a Continuing Church?

18. Mark

United States
    Religion:
    Happy Anglican
    A Continuing Church is an Anglican Church composed of those who left the TEC or Anglican Church in Canada or even the CoE. In the States
    they formed in 1978 after the TEC abandoned Scripture by faux ordaining women and re-writing the Prayer Book. Both of these actions were not done according to the canons and constitution of the Episcopal Church in the 1970's.

For those changes to be made, two successive General Conventions had to approve the changes. Like with how the TEC is changing the marriage rites and definitions today. In 2015 they made the first vote. In 2018, in their next General Convention, they vote again. If successful they can change. Hint this is why the World Wide Anglican Communion gave them 3 years to repent. The vote in 2018 will tell the Communion if there will be a chance they will repent.

The Continuing Churches left and formed as one large Church, but then started arguing and, in my opinion, acting childish and started splintering into various groups. As the original leaders are dying off or retiring, we are starting to see movement towards unity. As one Anglican Catholic priest told me, "once a few more assume room temperature and go to judgment, things will get better." Harsh but sadly true. The current ArchBishop of the ACC, UECNA, and others appear more reasonable than the men they replaced.

The Reformed Episcopal Church, REC, left the TEC in the 1870's. They thought the TEC was moving to close to catholic ideas. They were of a more reformed, aka calvinism, than Anglican. They wanted open communion, Bishop Cummings (who started the REC) wanted a more Presbyterian model of governance and liturgy. Now the REC has moved more back towards a catholic way of thinking. There are many Anglo-Catholics in the REC and they are in communion with Anglo-Catholic Churches such as the APA. Something that would not have happened 30 years ago.

Blessings

Fr. Mark

Andy likes this.