That’s a nice tithe you’re wearing!

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by CFLawrence, Jun 24, 2020.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    So I’ve decided to tithe, the real deal. 10% of my gross income every single month but NOT to the Catholic Church, to a ministry that won’t be spending the money on an army of lawyers defending priests.

Some of the reasons I am doing this is that I have an unhealthy relationship with money. I am greedy and selfish. I waste money on unnecessary things, sometimes bills go unpaid because I am buying something I just have to have instead of paying that bill.

So I decided I needed to reorient my relationship with money, hence my decision to tithe. My tithe will be the first bill paid every month. I’ve already begun re-budgeting to allow for the tithe and to live comfortably. I have gone thru my budget and cut out all sorts of luxuries that I paid for every month that I never really used any way. I’m not sure why I felt the need to have them.

as far as the theology of all this, the RCC does not require a 10% tithe. TEC considers the 10% tithe the standard. I’m going with TEC on this one.

so after the beard post, I hope this is a little less strange LOLOLOLOLOL

2. bwallac2335

bwallac2335 Well-Known Member

Religion:
    ACNA
    I disagree with the TEC. I think the tithe should be given out of your abundance but not at a set legalistic amount. I applaud what you are doing though. Good for you.

CFLawrence likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    That's fine. 2Cor 9:7 says, Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. You have decided to give a tenth. Sounds good!

bwallac2335 and CFLawrence like this.
  4. AnglicanAgnostic

AnglicanAgnostic Well-Known Member

New Zealand
    Religion:
    none
    2 Cor 9:7&9
    7 Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give,)" for God loves a cheerful giver." And God is able)" to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need,)" you will abound in every good work........... 9 As it is written:
    “They have freely scattered their gifts)" to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”

Is Paul paraphrasing Marx here ""From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs" :p

5. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    Not really. Marx's idea included a government that enforced a Robin Hood system, "take from the rich forcibly and distribute to the poor, after subtracting a generous cut for the decision makers." You'll be hard pressed to find a "cheerful giver" in a truly communist country.

6. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    So I finally took my first crack at tithing this month and realised that if I kept the money for other things I could have spent it wisely BUT since you guys don’t know me well, I’ll let you in on a little secret. I suffer from the sin of avarice, and I would have greedily spent the money on unnecessary indulgences. So tithing for me is really a lesson about thinking about someone other than myself. So I split my tithe. I gave half, 5% to TEC, 5% to Episcopal Charities of New York and then for penance made a donation to Anglicans for Life. And my world didn’t fall apart. My rent got paid. I have food to eat. And actually I’m much, much happier this month knowing where my money went. I’m not posting this to brag, it’s just I expected catastrophe but everything is better than fine. God seems to be blessing me! That is all I really want to testify to.

Lowly Layman and bwallac2335 like this.