Taize',Contemplative, etc

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by nkygreg, Jun 23, 2012.

1. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    In one of the new members intros, we touched on alternative service types. I am more of a traditionalist but, Taize seems so deep. As an RC moving toward the EC, I must admit a love for contemplative prayer, lots of times at a Eucharistic Adoration chapel. I have also heard and read about ECs in the northeastern states trying a gothic Eucharist. Celtic services and even the U2 Eucharist. I must say, I think those could be done tastefully.
    I think the Mega-Church stuff has crept into so many traditional churches. All fluff and feel good with no real depth of spirituality. But, I must say the Clown Eucharist done at Trinity Wall St EC, was way over the top.

Gordon, Anna Scott and Remembrance like this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I do hope you don't want to be an Episcopalian simply because they retained Gothic architecture!

Does your "Cafeteria" Catholicism lead you to question the moral teachings of Rome? Do you want to join the EC because of that church's openness to various practices? One must be convinced that Rome is in error before leaving. There's more at stake than contemplative prayer and Neo-Gothic vaulting. :)

There are protestant movements in America that seek to abolish things like Eucharistic Adoration, so depending on how the Episcopal Church goes in the next 10-20 years, you may join it only to see your favourite Catholic practices go away.

Can you furnish us with videos that show this ideal you're looking for? Any reverent Celtic services?

By the way, if you want to type Taizé, hold alt+130 on the far-right number pad (next to the arrow keys)... or just copy and paste é from my post... :p

3. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

I find these things very interesting. Mega-church stuff isn't my style at all (and clown masses are a total disgrace), but Celtic & Taize are fascinating to me. I'm also a traditionalist at heart, but contemplative is an area in which I could really grow. I am sure that the Episcopal Church will remain very open to reverent, alternative service types. If you discover some good services, I'd definitely like to hear about your findings.

nkygreg and Anna Scott like this.
  4. Kammi

Kammi Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Our Anglican Parish has either a Celtic or Taize service once a month on Sunday evening. Of the two, I much prefer the Taize. But being a small parish, it's not always possible to have an organist for the service so we have more Celtic services.

5. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Kammi,
    Welcome to Anglican Forums! Our membership is growing!
    I appreciate your comments about the Celtic and Taize services.

Peace and blessings,
    Anna

nkygreg likes this.
  6. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Kammi...

Can you give us a few more words describing the differences between the Celtic and Taize services?

...Scottish Monk

7. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    I am quite open to any Eucharist service as long as I have a copy of the service so I can follow it word for word...

8. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    This is where I usually attend.
    http://christchurchcincinnati.org/

They offer Cathedral in the park and Evensong as well as regular Rite 1 and Rite 2. To Remembrance, I was once EC and became RC about 10 years ago. I have some real concerns about Rome. I was never very comfortable with some Dogmas, some I didn't learn about at first. What I miss in the EC is discussion. That you don't have to check your mind at the door.

Anna Scott likes this.
  9. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    Just wondering, why did you switch EC to becoming RC at the time?

10. nkygreg

nkygreg Member

USA
    Religion:
    Franciscan Order
    It is a story I will share sometime in the future.

Scottish Knight likes this.