systems of goverment dose it really matter

Discussion in 'The Commons' started by mark fisher, Aug 27, 2022.

1. mark fisher

mark fisher Member Anglican

canada
    Religion:
    high church anglican
    i was wandering you're thoughts on what systems of government are most in line with Christian principles
    personally i think that no government is truly good and moral but i was wandering everyone elaes thoughts

Lowly Layman likes this.
  2. PDL

PDL Well-Known Member Anglican

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I doubt you could say that any system of government is truly aligned with Christianity.

Obviously, some are better than others. Those in the West are probably the best. They do not align with the Christian faith but they allow Christians to practise their faith. Also there history has been heavily influenced by Christianity.

On the other hand there are many totalitarian regimes where either religion is not tolerated, e.g. China, banned outright, e.g. North Korea or very tightly controlled. In some parts of the world religion is allowed but Christianity is banned, e.g. saudi Arabia, or there are countries where it's not banned but Christians are heavily persecuted, e.g. Iran, Iraq, Pakistan. There are also places where only some forms of Christianity are tolertaed, e.g. Russia.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  3. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    The pinnacle would be theocratic governance by Jesus, if everyone were in perfect submission to Him. Some people believe that this (or something close to it) is what we will see during the final thousand years of this earth's existence (after which He destroys the old universe and creates a new one untouched by sin).

4. Invictus

Invictus Well-Known Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    There is no uniquely ‘Christian’ theory of government, though there certainly have been plenty of prominent Christian theologians who have written important things on the subject over the centuries.

Shane R likes this.
  5. Shane R

Shane R Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Among what I will call 'trad Anglicans' monarchy seems to be gaining in popularity. Of course, most of these people have never lived under a monarchy so it's all theoretical for them. I live in Ohio and congressional candidates are trying to paint their opponents as massive racists.

Lowly Layman likes this.
  6. Rexlion

Rexlion Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian attending ACNA
    I think a better question might be: what sort of ideals should be incorporated in a good, just government? To evaluate, we need to consider what God prefers.

"Thou shalt not kill." We know that God wants us to respect human life.
    "Thou shalt not steal." We know that God wants us to respect the property rights of others.
    "Thou shalt not bear false witness." God wants us to be honest.
    "Love thy neighbor as thyself": God wants us to put the well-being of others on a par with our own well-being.
    "Love God with all thy heart": God wants us to love Him above all else.

In order for people to be able to love God, they need to have liberty to hear about God, believe in Him, trust Him, and love Him. A good government should protect the rights of its people to do all of these. At the same time, good government cannot command or require that anyone love God.

Just laws which protect the liberties and lives of all individuals, as well as laws that protect their property rights and give some protection from the consequences of dishonesty, should play a large role in good government.

7. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I was intrigued by this. What do you mean by 'trad Anglicans'?

I have to wonder what type of monarchy they are after. Do they want constitutional monarchy like Belgium, Norway, the UK, et al. Alternatively, do they want absolute monarchy like Brunei or Saudi Arabia.

You can get monarchy like Liechtenstein or Monaco but I think that could only work in such micronations.

ZachT likes this.
  8. ZachT

ZachT Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I don't know that monarchy would work in the US, as it is right now. The US political culture is still far too "winner-takes-all", and far too focused on expecting a powerful executive to do everything they want by executive fiat so they can avoid the difficulty and moderation of negotiation and compromise in a representative assembly.

They would expect their monarchs to do things. And that's not (in my mind) a good model for monarchy.

Br. Thomas and Invictus like this.
  9. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    People who secretly believe they are more English than someone from the UK. The type who maintain membership in the Society of King Charles the Martyr.

Exactly what the expectations are of the people I know who espouse the view.

Invictus likes this.
  10. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I'm not saying people from outside the UK cannot be members. I don't know. A quick look at their website and its Who's Who page tells me it's very much an English society and sees to be Anglo-Catholic.

11. Shane R

USA
    Religion:
    Anglican
    It seems to be a badge of pride amongst a certain stripe of Anglo-Catholics. I know lots of North American members. I've been invited to apply for membership myself. I've never been convinced that 'martyr' is a fitting appelation for King Charles.

PDL and Invictus like this.
  12. PDL

United Kingdom
    Religion:
    Church of England
    I agree. I do not think he died a martyr's death.

Shane R likes this.
  13. Othniel

Othniel Active Member Typist

Canada
    Religion:
    Christian
    But it is fun to drop in my group chats with Covenanter wannabes.