Sunday Litany?

Discussion in 'Feasts, Fasts, and Church Calendar' started by Toma, Dec 17, 2012.

?

Does your parish ever pray the Litany?

1. Yes.

50.0%
  2. No.

50.0%
  1. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Friends,

Anglicanism held it as common practice to pray the Litany before Holy Communion on the Lord's Day.

Have you ever observed a notice for, or yourself taken part in, a public recitation of the Litany on Sunday?

Incense likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Yesterday, attending my first Sunday Communion in the Anglican Church [of Canada], the ministers began with the Thomas Tallis Litany setting, in Procession. The priest knelt at the chancel steps once the choristers had entered into their stalls, and the Litany continued with petitions. With light from the main window streaming onto the classical altar and bathing the chancel in light, and our request that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit have mercy upon us, I was deeply moved.

The rector told me afterwards that "we are greatly impoverished by the lack of it", the Litany, in these days. The Anglican Church of Canada has a rubric in its 1959/62 BCP saying that the Litany must be used before the Communion at least once a month. Since most parishes use the Book of Alternative Services, which has no such rubric, we can see where the impoverishment comes from. People do not like a sense of sin today, and that is why the Litany is greatly needed.

Symphorian likes this.
  3. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Consular...

As usual, your links are incredible!

Toma likes this.
  4. Incense

Incense Active Member

This is a very beautiful Litany!

Toma likes this.
  5. Lowly Layman

Lowly Layman Well-Known Member

Oh I wish...and the Decalogue too. I'm still dumbfounded that they don't even have general confession

Toma likes this.