Sufjan Stevens

Discussion in 'Arts, Literature, and Games' started by Religious Fanatic, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Religious Fanatic

Religious Fanatic Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    I actually have to admit that, after becoming more aware of the theology and doctrine of Anglican vs. Episcopal churches, the infatuation with Sufjan Stevens as a 'light' in the world of Christian music really astounds me. I want to say that, the love some people have for Sufjan's 'brilliance' is actually rooted in prelest, or spiritual delusion.

I need to point out that we need to be aware of not becoming too enamoured with clever gimmicks or humanistic ideas of how art has to be for God to accomplish something through it. Growing up, I always looked down on my parent's taste in the more simple, reverent gospel and worship songs, because they were more in love with Jesus and the message, and I was seeking more 'profoundly artistic' works. While I do not doubt that we should give our all to making art that is beautiful and God-glorifying, we must also remember that God didn't come as a king of regal outfits but as a baby in swaddling clothes.

Indie music culture is based on the idea of narcissistic individualism, even if it has a seed of counter-cultural expression that could in fact be said to be 'unworldly', that is, if used in a proper Christian context. However, it is apparent that the culture behind it is infested with post-modernist, hyper-secular, progressive politics. Ugly, frightening artworks done in bad taste to elicit 'depth' and 'shock value', coupled with pretentious, flavor-of-the-moment novelties like tie dye t-shirts, peacock masks, and whatever, are among the ongoing trends seen in today's indie music scene.

With all this need for approval and a platform to boast of their own cleverness, Sufjan Stevens no doubt has a seed of this in his music and respective goals. I felt a strong conviction from the holy spirit when, after finding of his Episcopal affiliation, and knowing the philosophy and current state of indie music, I had to not only keep myself from falling into this trap, but making others aware of my concerns with Sufjan.

There are rumors circulating that Sufjan is a practicing homosexual. As an Episcopal adherent, this would not surprise me if true, though I am certainly not making any actual claims as to the legitimacy of it. Yet, given his admittedly large LGBT following, and the fact that no rumors have circulated that he has ever made a public stance or statement on whether he holds orthodox views as to the biblical morality of it, I am urging some Christians to think this through and be cautious in terms of what extent they choose to support Sufjan's 'ministry'. I would think there would be some dissension if he had actually held orthodox views. You could even make an estimate about his relationship with his followers by their continued loyalty and close relation with him in the scene, even when public statements are not available to clarify it. Of course, as we all know, even flawed people can share some common views with us and edify on those points specifically, but all the evidence, as well as the character of his attitudes towards a lot of things, makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I don't like Sufjan's music at all, suspicions aside. I despise it, stylistically. But I also thought the same about Shawn Colvin, who is presbyterian and likely LGBT-affirming. Though in all honestly, I don't think she's a serious Christian and have never looked at her for spiritual guidance. People also speculate as to her lesbianism because of her appearance, but so far, no proof, so don't quote me on this.

Has anyone shared similar concerns about Sufjan and related musicians?

2. Cameron

Cameron Active Member

Newfoundland
    Religion:
    Catholic
    I'll give him credit where it is due. He's an artist, for sure, but I like only two or three of his songs. Interesting to note is that he wrote two original pieces for the film "Call Me By Your Name" - based on a novel (which I was forced to consume in one of my university classes) which details a homosexual relationship between a teenager and a grad student, both American expatriates, living in Italy. It is very graphic - in fact, it is quite disgusting at times even if for the sake of artistic liberalism.

Pay no heed to rumours - they come and go with feathers in the wind.