Struggling to choose which BCP, which Hymnal, which Bible... how do you do it?

Discussion in 'Faith, Devotion & Formation' started by Scottish Monk, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Regardless of the theological perspectives, I am thankful Scripture is being studied and communicated on this forum. Maybe we have our reformed friends to thank for this Biblical emphasis. If so, then I welcome your participation and communication. I think studying and discussing the Bible is what all of us should do more.

As I move around various Anglican parishes, I see a fair amount of Biblical illiteracy among Anglican clergy and staff. One example that has gotten into my crawl lately is the term "transformation", which is sometimes used in liberal parishes instead of traditional Bible-based terms, such as salvation, sanctification, justification, regeneration, etc. I also hear negative comments spoken about classical Christianity, conservative Anglicans, orthodox, traditional, evangelicals, and fundamentalists.

Currently, I am attending a class on "contemplation and centering prayer" at a regional TEC cathedral. There are a lot of words thrown about in the book we are reading, as well as comments made in the class, about the need for prayer in our busy lives. I have to smile sometime and whisper to myself--Do the Daily Office! Read the Sunday and Daily Lectionary! But alas, many folks are into conducting classes and workshops, as well as writing magazine articles and books. I guess they have to coin new terms to woo readers and audiences, just as manufacturers repackage a seasoned produce with the terms "new", "improved", "new and improved", and "ultra".

All of this makes me want to box up many of the books in my personal library and stay with the Book of Common Prayer, a trusted hymnal, and a single Bible. One BCP on my shelf--one hymnal on my shelf--one Bible on my shelf.

Ahhh... But then my wrinkled old brain raises these questions: Which BCP? Which hymnal? Which Bible?

Do any of you long for a simple Christian life?

[​IMG]

Old Christendom likes this.
  2. Toma

Toma Well-Known Member Anglican

Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    This is one of the great desires and longing even of the generations of this contemporary world. We have become so technical and bureaucratic in many areas. Humanity cannot stand being chained - for good or for ill. ;) There is a breath of fresh air, a spark in the soul, when someone feels that they've been freed by something too complex and overbearing...

I long for simple Christianity when things get out of hand. When the rituals and processions and liturgies crowd the air, I look to the Psalms. "Have mercy upon me O God, according to thy loving-kindness". "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and let all that is within me bless His holy Name". "Praise the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy endures forever". "Let all that has breath praise the Lord". "Like as a hart desires the water-brooks, so my soul longs for you, O God".

What longing is there that cannot be fulfilled in simple hymns to the Divine Wisdom incarnate, the Logos winning the victory in our very human armour? Sing hymns to the Trinity. Rejoice in the Psalms. Read Genesis 1, sing the Magnificat, read Matthew 1, sing the Nunc Dimittis, and ask for the blessing from God. The whole service of the BCP, morning & evening, is almost entirely taken from the Scriptures.

Scottish Monk and Celtic1 like this.
  3. luke

luke Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Christian
    Well , i have only been on this forum for a week and i have already noticed a few things, there are many people here with a firm understand of Church history and scripture, but there are some here that, from time to time, "cross the line" and use this great knowledge to belittle and attack other members ( be it intentional or accidental).

Personally, i don't feel that i have been targeted even though i have already been involved in one controversial topic. For me, discussion is healthy, different views are healthy , Linking to historical documents is healthy but Gloating in one's correct interpretation or attacking the views of another member or there church's beliefs is not healthy.

We DO need to have the discussion of different views for our development as Christians. If i can't defend my views on a topic to my fellow Christian , then how will i manage it with non-Christians. Also just because someone can provide me with a different view on something doesn't make my view automatically wrong but it should at least get me ponder the question within myself. If i find out that the beliefs i had ,where "not quite right" when my day of Judgement comes, than i will take what ever punishment the Lord sees fit.

Seeing members posting about there decision to Leave these forums because of there perceived attacks is really disheartening. Whilst challenging another's views on any topic, I pray that we remember to do it with Love in our hearts and that the words we use wont be misinterpreted as an attack. I hope we all learn to communicate our positions better in future and remember , although you are looking a computer screen when you respond , on the other side is a weak and foolish sinner like yourself, trying to comprehend the message left behind by our saviour and the saints.

4. Jeff F

Jeff F Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Conservative Believer
    Luke, you're a very perceptive individual, and make several good points. The personalities and behaviors of this forum represent the same problems that exist within the various churches here in America, and while we have a church on every corner, it's not because Christianity is flourishing, it's because we can't get along and separate. Each has their own doctrinal slant and interpretation, and can regurgitate rheems of scripture to prove their point as they assail their theological opponent. The problem is that the outside world see's us fighting like junk yard dogs (mostly over dogma) and elects to remain aloof or disconnected. I wonder how many could actually have a simple conversation with outsiders on the finished work of Christ, without reciting their dissertation?;)

Jeff

Gordon and Scottish Monk like this.