Sola...

Discussion in 'Theology and Doctrine' started by CFLawrence, Aug 12, 2018.

1. CFLawrence

CFLawrence Active Member

United States
    Religion:
    Evangelical Episcopalian
    sola scriptura, sola fide, sola gratia, solus Christus, soli deo gloria... the five solas.

I’m posting this not so much because I’m looking for the official dogma of Anglicanism. What I’m mostly interested in is knowing are there folks here who accept the five solas and what brought them personally to that conviction. A book, a teacher, they found it in scripture?

Where do you stand?

2. Peteprint

Peteprint Well-Known Member Anglican

USA
    Religion:
    High-Church Laudian
    It would appear that the Solas were not fully articulated or systematized until well after the Reformation, and I would not hold to them in the way that modern Protestants tend to do, like a mantra of sorts.

I would replace "sola scriptura" with primera scriptura, while "sola fide" should be nuanced with the understanding that "faith without works is dead." "Sola gratia" is accepted by all Christians (God initiates our salvation).

The "Solus Christus" & "Soli deo gloria" are later additions to the original three solas and appears to be a reaction towards certain perceived beliefs or practices of the Roman Catholic Church, practices and beliefs which the Catholics would not understand in the same way as most Protestants. For many Calvinists "Soli deo gloria" has become a slogan akin to "Workers of the World Unite," and "God bless America"; a form of jingoism.

3. JoeLaughon

JoeLaughon Well-Known Member Anglican

United States
    Religion:
    ACNA
    Keith Mathison has a great book on Sola Scriptura and how the early, medieval and Reformation Church defined it. It contrasts with the evangelical low church understanding of the term.