Settling in with a new Anglican church

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Scottish Monk, May 22, 2012.

1. Scottish Monk

Scottish Monk Well-Known Member

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hello to everyone!

I am new to a new ACNA church--the church was started last month. I come to this Anglican church, feeling both at home and on an adventure. My spiritual path, as my screen name suggests, is one that has led me in and out of several congregations, traditions, and, of course, spiritual growth through solitude. Some of my church traditions include Baptist, Wesleyan, Pentecostal, and Episcopal.

In the past I have filled my spiritual hours with the study of theology and Biblical interpretation. Now, my spirituality is almost exclusively devoted to praying the Divine Office, reading Scripture, and attending services at the new Anglican church in my community. I also have interests in backyard astronomy, nature, hiking, and bird watching.

The Bible translations I frequently use these days include the following (in order of personal preference).
    1. Jerusalem Bible (JB) (1966)
    2. New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) (1989)
    3. King James Version, Cambridge University Press (KJV) (1990, 1995)
    4. New International Version (NIV) (1984)
    I consider my spiritual bent to be contemplative. An Episcopal priest once told me that the church has never known what to do with contemplatives, except to provide monasteries for their unique spirituality. Well, I am married with two children and three grand children--so, a monastery is not an avenue open to me.

If you want to put a current label on me, how about Anglican Contemplative or Scottish Monk.

No, I do not live in Scotland. My ancestors left Edinburgh in 1723 A.D. and settled in Appalachia for seven generations--pretty much all of those years in the same hollow. Appalachia is a mountainous region where many Scotch/Irish folk migrated, My parents left Appalachia during the 1940s and migrated to a small town in the Midwest. After a business career, I retired and began making several trips a year to the sacred places of my Appalachian roots--the trips feel so good, my heart and soul sing out in praise to God in the midst of the Southern Highland mountains and numerous Scottish relatives.

I am glad to be in a new Anglican church and look forward to participating in this Anglican forum. I have much to learn, many questions to ask, and a few ideas to share.

...Scottish Monk

Edited 05/24/2012

2. Scottish Knight

Scottish Knight Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Religion:
    Christian
    welcome Scottish Monk, I'm from Edinburgh myself, although I'm sure it's changed a lot since your ancestors left it lol

3. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Scottish Monk I to am a married man with 6 children and 10 grand children so I cannot go into community either, so I have just recently become a novice in the Third Order of the Society of St. Francis (www.tssf.org) should take you to the USA province site. I am Australian so I belong to the Australian, Papua New Guinea, and East Asia province. (www.tssf.org.au). We have a number of RC and other Christian denominations that are with us but we are an Anglican order. I believe you could also look at the Secular Order within the RC church as well. I to think of myself as a contemplative and see that as where I do most of my commitment to work within the order.

Might as well add the UK as well..... www.tssf.org.uk

Robert likes this.
  4. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
  5. seeking.IAM

seeking.IAM Member

United States
    Religion:
    Episcopalian
    Oh, and welcome, Scottish Monk!

6. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Australia
    Religion:
    Franciscan - Anglican
    Thanks for that - I did post a bad link at that....

7. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Hey guys!

Just a short note to let you know I changed my avatar on this forum to be the same avatar (and screen name) that I use on Scripture, Tradition, Reason-Anglican & Old Catholic (Christian Forums).

I decided to keep my two signatures separate. The signature on STR reads:

The night is clear. No porch lights or street lights invade the corner where I sit at my telescope . . . considering God's heavens and the work of his fingers.

...Scottish Monk

8. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Scottish Monk,
    I also post on STR on CF and also on the non-Catholic section of CAF (Catholic Answers Forum)--with same name and Avatar. There are a number of us on the same forums. Often, I have all three forums open at the same time---I really need to get a life. lol.

Anyway, welcome to Anglican Forums! Posters here are very respectful and post with charity, even when in sharp disagreement. That is one of the things I love here. It is a safe place for us (Anglicans) to discuss issues among ourselves and better understand our differences.

Peace,
    Anna

Scottish Monk likes this.
  9. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Scottish Knight...

Thank you for the welcome.

Scottish Monk

10. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Gordon...

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestion to consider the Third Order of the Society of St. Francis.

...Scottish Monk

11. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    seeking.IAM...

Thank you for the welcome.

...Scottish Monk

12. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Anna Scott...

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestion about CAF and STR.

Scottish Monk

13. Anna Scott

Anna Scott Well-Known Member

Also, your avatar makes me smile. :)

Anna

14. cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly New Member

WelcomeWelcome. I too post at all 3 forums with the screen name cajunhillbilly. I grew up in the appalcian mountains of West Virginia and consider myself from there, although I live in Dallas TX. I attend an ACNA church in Rockwall.

15. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    Nice to meet you.

How about a pause for a song by John Denver?
    Country Roads: Take me home, West Virginia

[​IMG]

...Scottish Monk

16. CatholicAnglican

CatholicAnglican Active Member

Canada
    Religion:
    Traditional Catholic
    What ACNA parish are you with Scottish Monk? I am currently with a small ANiC house church plant that is growing in Winnipeg, Canada

17. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    CatholicAnglican...

Thanks for asking. I will send you a personal message.

...Scottish Monk

18. Hermas

Hermas New Member

Religion:
    Eastern Orthodoxy
    Hello !

Did you try any Eastern Orthodox traditions by any chance? ;)

Scottish Monk likes this.
  19. Scottish Monk

USA
    Religion:
    Christian
    There are churches in the Eastern Orthodox traditions about 30 miles from my home. However, I have not tried any of them. Thank you for the suggestion.

...Scottish Monk

20. alphaomega

alphaomega Active Member

usa
    Religion:
    Anglican
    Hello from another Scottish descended Appalachian raised hillbilly!lol. I am very new to Anglicanism. Just started going to a REC church and I am enjoying it immensely

Classical Anglican likes this.