Sermons on Abortion

Discussion in 'Philosophy, Truth, and Ethics' started by John Strachan, Aug 2, 2020.

  1. John Strachan

    John Strachan New Member

    Posts:
    2
    Likes Received:
    1
    Country:
    Canada
    Religion:
    Anglican
    As an erstwhile RC, personal morality was a common theme in sermons. It is rarely so, however, in Anglican sermons. More often then not morality is defined in social/societal terms, but rarely personal. I have yet it hear a sermon on abortion, pre-marital sex or marital fidelity. I've heard more than I care to remember about homosexuality - which affect at most 10% of the population - but little about the sexual indiscretions of the other 90%. Why is that?
     
  2. Stalwart

    Stalwart Well-Known Member Anglican

    Posts:
    2,334
    Likes Received:
    2,205
    Country:
    America
    Religion:
    Anglican
    I suppose it depends on your priest to a large extent, in what gets preached about. I'd also suppose that the wider social ills in the public culture play a role in what gets selected to be discussed. Abortion is already understood as an evil among Christians. There isn't really a debate about it. It's true that some still do it, and yes some further preaching has to go toward it than perhaps gets done, but generally it is a foregone topic within Christian circles.

    Homosexuality isn't. You'd imagine that it would be like abortion, and it should've been (wrong universally, even if encountered locally). But it most definitely isn't just like abortion or the other social ills. Fueled by the crazy media propaganda war waged upon Western culture, there are now many prominent Christians who think it is entirely fine, even wonderful, healthy and celebratory. There are people's lives getting destroyed every day in the progress of this war currently engulfing our culture. To say that it's a local issue which "affects at most 10% of the population" would be to understate what's really involved. Unless the Church soon starts to bless homosexual practice, it will itself be outlawed and Christians put in prisons, as they're already beginning to be. I'm not sure you're realizing the severity of the crisis. You will already be fired from your job and destroyed in every social manner, for merely misgendering someone.

    If your priest were of the traditional orthodox mould, I'd imagine he would want to stick a pole in the wheels of that wagon, and let his congregation understand that the widespread acceptance of this behavior in the wider culture was very much unacceptable. Since many people dispute this, he would probably want to spend more time on it.
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    bwallac2335 likes this.
  3. Rexlion

    Rexlion Well-Known Member

    Posts:
    2,424
    Likes Received:
    1,196
    Country:
    USA
    Religion:
    Anglican Christian
    I agree with the points Stalwart made. Let me add a comment about your guesstimate. While it may be true that homosexual behavior is currently engaged in by a small percent of the population, the social and legal developments of recent decades shows a broad effort to 'normalize' this behavior, and consequently the percentages of both acceptance and involvement are on the upswing.

    I have little doubt that the region around Sodom and Gomorrah didn't 'start out' in widespread deviance, but that at some point in time it caught on.

    For centuries upon centuries, homosexual behavior has been understood as abnormal and 'against nature.' Likewise for bestiality. Although adultery and fornication are also wrong and sinful, those acts are a 'giving in' to the natural yearnings of the flesh. Last week I read commentary on a news story out of Pakistan: a half dozen Pakistani youths participated in buggering a kitten repeatedly over the course of a week, until the kitten died of internal injuries.
    https://archive.fo/RUJsx If people in the US or Canada began pushing for normalization and legalization of bestiality, wouldn't we want and expect to hear pushback from our pulpits on this subject (similar to the pushback on homosexuality)?
     
    bwallac2335 likes this.